EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 21 Jun 2016, 07:41 PM   #1
janusdupreez

Gandi email help needed ?

Hi, hope someone can assist me.

My wife started a new business and bought a logo from www.freelogoservices.com

They also convinced her to register a website through them along with hosting. The problem now is that in order to get an email address, she needs to pay a monthly fee. From what I can see, the hosting or whatever is through gandi (access.mail.gandi.net.)

When I googled gandi, it tells me that gandi gives 5 free email accounts.

Is there a way that she can get her business email address (self setup) without the monthly fee ?

She has access to her DNS settings and nameservers.

Please advise
janusdupreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Jun 2016, 11:13 PM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Generally, the problem with free services is that they don't charge for things that should cost money, and try to recoup their losses by charging for things that should be free (or charging a lot for something that should be cheap).

Gandi provides 5 free email accounts for domains registered through them, but the disk quota is pretty small by today's standards. If you want more space, there's an option to pay a monthly fee per GB. If you suspect that the middleman is charging you for a free service, first make sure whether you really have the free service. They might have set you up with extra disk space, which does incur a monthly fee.

Changing your nameservers or DNS will not be helpful unless you want to move to another email service. Even if you do, read the fine print to check whether you've put yourself under any contractual obligation to keep using Gandi's email service via the middleman.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Found these links while searching the net. It may be useful.

http://www.webhostingsecretrevealed....hosting-guide/

https://domain.yandex.com/domains_add/#tab=3
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2016, 12:58 PM   #4
rockman

You have to at least host your domain with Gandi to get the 5 free mailboxes and 1000 aliases. It's a good, reasonable service full of hosting features you can grow in to. Very flexible DNS Zones setup. Easily manage your DNS records if you host services elsewhere, like MX records. Great support via chat or email.

Cheers
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
You have to at least host your domain with Gandi to get the 5 free mailboxes and 1000 aliases. It's a good, reasonable service full of hosting features you can grow in to. Very flexible DNS Zones setup. Easily manage your DNS records if you host services elsewhere, like MX records. Great support via chat or email.

Cheers
I don't believe that Gandi requires a web hosting account for free E-Mail hosting. What it requires is that the domain be registered with Gandi.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2016, 12:30 PM   #6
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
I don't believe that Gandi requires a web hosting account for free E-Mail hosting. What it requires is that the domain be registered with Gandi.

--
Jacinto
I consider that one in the same, although the web hosting you get along with domain reg is a very basic web site. But, yes you are more precise.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote