EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jun 2021, 10:34 PM   #1
rblon
Essential Contributor

Alias subdomain

I would like to set-up an alias such that email to

anyname@subdomain.mydomain.com is delivered to anyname@anotherdomain.com

Does anyone know if that is possible possible in Fastmail?

And otherwise less generic (i.e. separate alias per specific name):

specificname@subdomain.mydomain.com is delivered to specificname@anotherdomain.com?
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jun 2021, 05:17 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I think you should be able to do this with the alias's Deliver to setting otherwise just create a filter rule.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2021, 06:20 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

If you want all mail delivered to anything@domain1.com to deliver to anything@domain2.com then you just create an alias for *@domain1.com and set the target to *@domain2.com.

If you want all mail delivered to anything@subdomain.domain1.com to deliver to anything@domain2.com then you need to create an alias for *@subdomain.domain1.com with the same target. To be able to do this subdomain.domain.com should be one of the domains you host at Fastmail.

To do this you customize the DNS for domain1.com and add NS records for subdomain.domain1.com pointing at ns1.messagingengine.com and at ns2.messagingengine.com, and then follow the procedure to add subdomain.domain1.com to the list of your domains hosted in your FastMail account. Once subdomain.domain1.com is in your list of domains you can set up aliases @subdomain.domain1.com (including a * alias).
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2021, 07:46 PM   #4
rblon
Essential Contributor

Hi hadaso, thanks for the tips. It makes sense, but I can't get it to work..

So i have registered domain1.com with a domain registrar and pointed the nameservers to Fastmail. I don't see an option with them to set-up a nameserver for a subdomain.

I can customize the DNS within Fastmail and add NS records for the subdomain pointing again to the Fastmail nameservers. Not sure if this makes sense, though.

But then when I go to "Add Domain" and enter subdomain.domain1.com, I get a message that "This domain already belongs to a Fastmail account".
Old 4 Jun 2021, 08:38 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You already have your domain pointing to the Fastmail servers.

Just as you added domain1.com to Fastmail in the Domains section, also add subdomain.domain1.com, as a new domain, to Fastmail.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2021, 09:18 PM   #6
rblon
Essential Contributor

so easy... it didn't work because of the NS records.
Now it does work. Great, thanks help!