EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:46 AM   #1
JeffK

Do fastmail changes cause you to rethink your email setup?

Have the recent improvements in fastmail features caused anyone to rethink their email reliability setup.

Eg I use very few of my fastmail aliases directly but channel my email through a few personal domains. This was to cause less pain when fastmail "goes down".

With the increased flexibility of the increased fastmail aliases, I'm tempted to go back the other way? Perhaps to host my domains at fastmail rather than with other providers.

Any comments?

Jeff

BTW, thanks fastmail for these additions.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Apr 2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Heartz
Essential Contributor

It certainly has for me. I have few domain names - basically .com/.net/.org versions of main domain name. My family members keep mixing them up and I thought it was best to buy all three versions. However, that was just unjustibly expensive using the old fastmail setup, so had to use a Webhosting company which I've used for eons as a relay to fastmail.

Now though, the new deal looks sweat. I cannot justify using my existing webhost as a relay anymore because of the new FM limits. And I think it's sweet. FM has backup MX's, and now hopefully, a full fledged redundancy plan coming soon. Unlike before, I only use my FM email for my personal use, so redundancy aint so important anymore, but the change certainly has pushed me to upgrade to an Enhanced account.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 05:59 PM   #3
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

Yes, FM changed my thinking for email setup.

Earlier I was so confuse between TM and FM.

But just recent announcement from FM changes my mind set and immediatly I upgraded my member account to enhanced and now I have moved my domain here with FM. Now I m getting everything, like fast webmail interface, storage, bandwidth, and support too .

Thanks for FM team.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 07:05 PM   #4
hobbes

I had an enhanced account already, but have now been able to add all my domains to the setup. Also, the file storage increase has been great. I already bought about 600MB extra, so I've now got a very healthy storage quota, which I intend to use,

So, I'm very happy with the setup.

Now, if I can just find a way to get FM to make the UI just a little bit nicer then I will be totally happy.... Using small, plain HTML/CSS doesn't have to be butt-ugly, you know. The whole website and interface looks like its been designed by ... software engineers.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hobbes
Now, if I can just find a way to get FM to make the UI just a little bit nicer then I will be totally happy.... Using small, plain HTML/CSS doesn't have to be butt-ugly, you know. The whole website and interface looks like its been designed by ... software engineers.
Just would like to add that I am not in favor of a UI change. Yeah, maybe I am old fashioned, but it looks just how I like it...
Edward Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 03:33 AM   #6
Sherry

Quote:
The whole website and interface looks like its been designed by ... software engineers.
Yep, it was.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Essential Contributor

I'm moving more of my domains to Fastmail now. In turn, I'm getting rid of more email addresses that I've picked up over the years. I don't plan to use any more of the alias with fastmail's domains, since I really don't need them.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 01:39 PM   #8
fatdove52

Thumbs up Changes cause a re-think of Fastmail use ?

The newly announced changes for full and enhanced level accounts with Fastmail are most interesting and welcome for folks at those levels of service. These changes were probably none too easy to design or implement. I get the impression the folks at Fastmail have done some bending over backwards for their customers. That is the very fact why I stay with Fastmail Two steps beyond is what has been done for us, thank you, muchly.
Although I am one of the least tech proficient customers of Fastmail, I intend to see how the improvements work and how they can work for me. And when it's time to renew my service I shall with a pleasent smile.
So far, fastmail has helped my tiny business comport itself as well as the bigger corporate interests. Thank you all, again, for taking the not so easy way. If all you've impressed is me then you have, in effect, made a hike up Mt. Everest into a pleasing afternoon walk. Thanks.
fatdove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 03:21 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
The whole website and interface looks like its been designed by ... software engineers.
That obvious huh

There's a couple of issues I'd like to work around/add that would help noticeably with little work. The main one being the auto-sizing mailbox layout (eg text-overflow: elipsis/hidden).

One thing I've wondered is whether to do bits at a time, or build them all up for 1 big change. Anyone got opinions on whether small changes are better for users, or 1 big change?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 03:31 PM   #10
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Little, periodic changes are fine with me. But please announce them somewhere.
Have you considered making the columns in the mailbox (From and Subject) adjustable width?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:06 PM   #11
eggman
Essential Contributor

Quote:
One thing I've wondered is whether to do bits at a time, or build them all up for 1 big change. Anyone got opinions on whether small changes are better for users, or 1 big change?
I prefer the agile point of view - small incremental changes.

The benefits are
- you get something sooner
- its easier to test small things
- if you have to do some big infrastructure change after completing the first couple of small pieces of work then we have those live for users instead of waiting for all of them.

The other angle is that if you keep changing the same screen is can be disorientating for users.

My 2 aussie cents anyway :-)
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:40 PM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by eggman
The other angle is that if you keep changing the same screen is can be disorientating for users.
Yes, that's my main concern.

I see it with my dad. Anytime he upgrades any software, his comment to me is "It's all totally different" and he's always slightly confused and agitated for a few weeks, even if the changes are minor. He's a pure creature of habit however. I've had him ring me saying "This new window appeared that says 'Do you want to XXX?' with a Yes and a No button. What do I do?" To which I just reply, "well do you want to do XXX?" "Well yes, I do" "Then click 'Yes'" "Ok, thanks, bye"

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:50 PM   #13
hobbes

I'm not thinking in terms of functionality (which is already superb), but just appearance.

Just a basic rethinking of your use of CSS and layout by a designer will make the site look great and more professional, without greatly increasing the size of the code. I'm not after AJAX stuff necessarily, but simply a well-designed interface, rather than being merely "functional".
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:17 PM   #14
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
Yes, that's my main concern.

I see it with my dad. Anytime he upgrades any software, his comment to me is "It's all totally different" and he's always slightly confused and agitated for a few weeks, even if the changes are minor. He's a pure creature of habit however. I've had him ring me saying "This new window appeared that says 'Do you want to XXX?' with a Yes and a No button. What do I do?" To which I just reply, "well do you want to do XXX?" "Well yes, I do" "Then click 'Yes'" "Ok, thanks, bye"

Rob
In general, people do not like changes and they resist them. The less the better. For the people on this forum that may not be the case. But for the users in general, I believe it's better to redesign everything at once, test it on the beta server with this forum's members help and then to introduce it.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:18 PM   #15
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Wow, exactly the same with my mom. She's stuck using AOL email though. I finally got her to switch to using Thunderbird (since AOL offers IMAP) at least instead of going through AOL's incredibly unintuitive email interface.

I'll switch her to Fastmail eventually, just waiting on family accounts and the ability to check external IMAP (or poll AOL, whichever comes first). I've given her a forwarding address, but AOL doesn't allow sending email with a different FROM email, so she can't gradually switch to her new address yet either, what a pain.

She's liking Thunderbird though, which is good. She saw me using it and asked about why my email looks so nice and easy to use (which is huge for her, since anything technical is not her thing). She even asked about my email when I logged onto Fastmail's web interface to check email. She definitely wants to switch to Fastmail because of the mailbox size, but can't leave her aol.com addy cold turkey.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote