EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:01 PM   #1
lauricat

Question Importing contacts to Fastmail

G'day.

I have FM account that was accessed via a IMAP desktop version of Outlook.

I now need to finally cut the Outlook tethers and move to the native FM web interface.

All the emails are there. No problems with that aspect.

However the contacts are not. There are over 500 in Outlook. I tried to export a .csv file containing the addresses unsuccessfully. The problem is that the .csv file is formatted incorrectly.

Is their any way I can fix this, other than manually doing this one address at a time? I have also a copy of the contact folder as a .pst file. Could that be used to import addresses?

Thanks.
lauricat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:20 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Which version of Outlook are you using? I have successfully transferred contacts between Outlook and FastMail in the past using .csv files. Are the headers in the .csv file in English?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:23 PM   #3
lauricat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Which version of Outlook are you using? I have successfully transferred contacts between Outlook and FastMail in the past using .csv files. Are the headers in the .csv file in English?
Outlook 2016.

All the headers are in English. But they do not correspond with the FM standard. Like Outlook has mangled them..

Thanks for you help.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:57 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricat View Post
I now need to finally cut the Outlook tethers and move to the native FM web interface.

All the emails are there. No problems with that aspect.

However the contacts are not. There are over 500 in Outlook.
That's a lot of contacts to trust to the cloud.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:48 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Fastmail has good instructions here: https://www.fastmail.com/help/contac...l#importingcsv

You don't have to change each entry one by one. Just rename the columns in the CSV file to match the accepted names for Fastmail using a program like Excel.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2020, 03:02 PM   #6
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

I had this problem with an older version of Outlook. In the end I imported to Gmail, then imported from there to Fastmail. That worked, but there was an issue with company names not working correctly with Cardbook for Thunderbird. That is in another thread somewhere.
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2020, 03:44 PM   #7
lauricat

Smile

OK.

I have sorted it out.

I had 2 problems:

First the old contact list (1400 +) had many contacts that were mangled. Just garbage - in Outlook. Also whilst you could decipher some of them when opened in Outlook>Contacts, the information would not be in the .CSV file.

So I manually had to fix that.

The next problem, was the import of Distribution Lists (15 or so). Once I had straightened out the CSV files with valid data, FM does not have a facility to import Distribution lists.

So what I did was to just use the 'Company' header in the .CSV file as the name descriptor for the Distribution List. The 'Company' descriptor was not been utilised anyway - ie. it was blank.

I imported the D/L, then I just searched contacts for that particular descriptor, the appropriate addresses popped up, and then added them all to the already named Distribution List.

It seemed to work.

The only Gotcha I found was that you must use a unique 'company' name for each; Like *not* 'passionfruit' and 'fruit' as 2 separate distribution lists; but use something like 'Passionfruit' and 'Oranges' as 2 groups.

Why that was I just don't know, but it caused some weirdness until I worked it out.

Mailchimp, however, made my head explode.....

HTH helps someone else out in Outlook hell...