EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 23 Dec 2002, 05:00 PM   #16
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Which Pop3 Paid E-mail Client is best?

Thanks Cybersmurf, my views on Eudora are also similar .I did try eudora sometime ago but did not continue as it was lacking in many features
zaaz777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 12:48 AM   #17
Amica

Hi sarf,

Quote:
Does having paid version eliminate unhandled exception probs that spoil what is anotherwise good client?
Eudora has been pretty stable for me.

Try here: <http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/901hq.html>

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

- Amica
Amica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2002, 05:26 PM   #18
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Thanks to the advise and suggestions posted by all of you nice folks on this forum I have shortlisted two paid pop e-mail clients.namely Pocomail and Becky. .At present I am trying out trial versions of both.
I need a fast and efficient e-mail client to download POP3 messages only.
It should control spam very well.
The price difference between both the clients does not matter.
I receive about a 100 messages every day and send about 40 messages every day.
Which e-mail client would suit me best ?
Poco or Becky?
You nice and helpfull folks at this forum please advise
Old 26 Dec 2002, 07:21 PM   #19
AndreasW

Poco is very user-friendly, it's not vulnerable to e-mail viruses, and has some nice features, e.g scripting. I also like the fact that Poco doesn't use the Windows registry, but stores its configuration data and mail data in plain text files. On the other hand, downloading mails from the server is quite slow. I also think that Poco has more bugs than other email clients, and some basic features (e.g. handling of timezones) are missing too. You'll have to make sone tests yourself and decide whether you can live with that.

I've tested Becky only briefly. There were some things I didn't like, e.g. received messages could only be viewed in the preview window, but not in a separate window, and there were some problems when clicking on an URL in a received message (if I remember correctly, IE didn't open properly).
AndreasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2002, 10:08 PM   #20
donky oaty

Cool

Hi Zaaz, and everyone, I`m a first time poster..

So forgive me if my suggestion has been discussed elsewhere.

I`ve been using Incredimail as a Pop3 service, and I like the flexibility it gives me. I realise,Zaaz that you want it for downloads only, and in my view it functions quite well.

Plusses are:
* Compatability with Norton AV
* Configurability with Hotmail & Yahoo
* The ability to set up message rules to filter out spam ( although I run it alongside Mailwasher)
donky oaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2002, 11:29 PM   #21
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreasW

I've tested Becky only briefly. There were some things I didn't like, e.g. received messages could only be viewed in the preview window, but not in a separate window, and there were some problems when clicking on an URL in a received message (if I remember correctly, IE didn't open properly).
You can enlarge the preview window to a full screen with one click. As far as IE - it only opens if you view your message in HTML format. In text it opens your default browser. I never had problems with clicking on a link and opening IE.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2002, 12:04 AM   #22
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Thanks and welcome to this forum
donky oaty.I have tried Incredimail but all that fancy stuff style box,3d effects etc are not what i am looking for.I want something more professional looking
Old 27 Dec 2002, 12:09 AM   #23
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Many thanks Andreas and Reuven, I am still testing out trial versions of both Poco and Becky.Also awaiting more advise and suggestions from all you friendly folks on this forun
Old 27 Dec 2002, 12:31 AM   #24
marc

Calypso!

Hi,

I personally only use IMAP now, but I highly recommend Calypso!. You can find it here. The current version 3.3 (and coming maintenance release) is freeware, but from version 4 it will be shareware again.

---
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2002, 12:35 AM   #25
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Many thanks Marc I will check it out
Old 27 Dec 2002, 10:36 PM   #26
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Calypso!

Quote:
Originally posted by marc
Hi,

I personally only use IMAP now, but I highly recommend Calypso!. You can find it here. The current version 3.3 (and coming maintenance release) is freeware, but from version 4 it will be shareware again.

---
Marc
Dear Marc,

Back when I tried Calypso, the free version would only support a single POP account. But zaaz777 needs to access three different accounts. Do you know if Calypso still has that restriction?

Thanks,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:52 PM   #27
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Hi Marc & David from what I could gather the support for Calpso is not that good.
This e-mail client will not suit my purpose
Old 28 Dec 2002, 05:25 AM   #28
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Calypso allows multiple accounts. I think Dave is referring to Calypso Lite which used to be the free version when the main Calypso was a shareware. Now that the Calypso itself has become free (pending the new owner's future course of action), no restriction in multiple accounts.
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2002, 06:39 AM   #29
psalzer

Re: Calypso!

Quote:
Originally posted by marc
Hi,

---
Marc
The website says that IMAP is supported. Is it only supported in a limited way? I'm waiting on approval to join the Yahoo group to find out a little more, but could you tell us what the limitations are as an IMAP client?
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2002, 06:31 PM   #30
marc

Re: Which Pop3 Paid E-mail Client is best?

Quote:
Originally posted by zaaz777
Hi Marc & David from what I could gather the support for Calpso is not that good.
This e-mail client will not suit my purpose
Calypso was originally developed by Micro Computer Systems. They ceased development of Calypso in early 2001. Since then the full product was available as freeware. So there isn't a 'Light' version available anymore. So I'm sure that zaaz777 has the full version now, with f.e. multiple mailboxes and/or accounts.

Rose City Software is the new owner of Calypso since only two months, so it's 'normal' that they can't give full support right now. But there is excellent support available via a mailinglist. Just send a e-mail to 'CalypsoMail-subscribe@egroups.com' to subscribe.

I'm sure that Calypso has everything that zaaz777 will need. I advice him to join the mailinglist or drop a question here. Maybe I can answer him, because I have used Calypso myself for over two years. Again: Calypso looks dull, but is imho still the best POP e-mail client avaible. It has no real IMAP support, so that's the *only* reason why I stopped using it. If IMAP didn't exist, or if I didn't needed IMAP, then Calypso would be the no. 1 client for me.

So zaaz777, give Calypso a second chance, you won't regret it .

---
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote