EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 11 Jun 2013, 04:56 AM   #1
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Exclamation Outgoing forum emails disabled - problem is now fixed

It appears that some or all of the outgoing emails from EMD Forums were not working for the past 48 hours or so. I sent Edwin an email and he thinks it might be working again.

Update: Notification emails are now working again.

This affected new subscribed thread post emails, as well as confirmation emails when you tried to create a new EMD Forums account or change your email or password. Unfortunately, this locked me out from posting, since I tried to change my notification email address. Some may think this a good side effect of the problem.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 11 Jun 2013 at 05:32 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jun 2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

Yes, there were some email issues with the server, but they're now (hopefully) a thing of the past. Unfortunately, notifications that didn't go out during the problem period will never go out, if you see what I mean - i.e. they're lost in the great bit bucket in the sky. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:21 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've not been getting e-mail notifications of replies to threads I'm subscribed to - yesterday and again today.

Anyone else not getting notifications?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:32 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've not been getting e-mail notifications of replies to threads I'm subscribed to - yesterday and again today...
I just received the email notification for your post in this thread (to which I'm obviously subscribed to, since I started the thread). I have received a total of 8 EMD notification emails in the past 24 hours.

At the EMD website, check User CP > Edit Options > Messaging & Notifications > Default Thread Subscription Mode. Also check your email address in the User CP > Edit Email & Password page and be sure that the email account is whitelisting that address.

Bill
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:45 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
At the EMD website, check User CP > Edit Options > Messaging & Notifications > Default Thread Subscription Mode. Also check your email address in the User CP > Edit Email & Password page and be sure that the email account is whitelisting that address.
Been there, done that.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:46 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

And I just received the notification to your latest post. Which email service do you use? Are you sure the messages are not being blocked by your email service?

Bill
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:56 AM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I have a dedicated "Forums" e-mail address, that goes to a Google Apps account.

I've just re-checked everything in the last few minutes, all working - I've not changed any settings in past couple of days.

Suppose I could change the e-mail address in the EMD CP and see what happens.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 05:04 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Do you have an email account which allows you to change the From address? If so, try sending a message with the EMD from address (EmailDiscussions.com <forumadmin@emaildiscussions.com>) to your special Forums email address to see if it's making it through. If it works from your email service, it should work from the EMD outgoing server.

And you can try a completely different email account to see if it works.

Bill
Old 17 Aug 2015, 05:12 AM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Just did as you suggested, Bill - it was received OK.

BTW, I did just change my e-mail address in the EMD User CP and am getting notifications now - into the same Google Apps account that the "Forums" address goes to.

Still
Old 17 Aug 2015, 05:20 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

All I can tell you is that my notifications did not recently fail. But, as you can see from my initial post in this thread, the EMD system has gone bad before. It's hard to discriminate from blocking at an email provider and lack of automatic message generation.

Bill
Old 17 Aug 2015, 05:22 AM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Not all that crucial that I've missed some notifications - I check in to the forum numerous times a day anyway.

But thanks for the assist, Bill.

Appreciated.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 03:46 AM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Interesting . . .

When I changed my e-mail address in the EMD User CP yesterday, I used the main e-mail address for my Google Apps account.

I just now created and tested a "emd" alias - the same as my "Forums" alias - in that it targets the Google Apps account.

I changed the e-mail address in the EMD User CP to "emd" - and didn't get the "Action Required to Verify Email Change for EmailDiscussions.com" e-mail.

So I changed it back to the main e-mail address, and got an instant response.

Still
Old 18 Aug 2015, 09:08 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If I understand you correctly, you receive the updates at one address, but not at another. That of course leaves two possibilities:
  • EMD doesn't like using one address. Is it a subdomain or plus+address, or does it use any non alphabetic characters?
  • Your email service is blocking EMD notices, but only at one alias. I don't have a Google Apps account, so I can't help you with that. It might be due to some spam blocking feature.
Very odd!
Old 18 Aug 2015, 02:42 PM   #14
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Very odd!
I changed the e-mail address a few months ago to:
forums@subdomain.domain.com

That's worked fine until this last weekend.

When that failed I went back to the main address for that subdomain.domain.

Tried to change yesterday to:
emd@subdomain.domain.com

As the aliases point to the same Google Apps account, and e-mail tests to those aliases are working, that is confusing.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 05:22 AM   #15
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Edwin, Hotmail/Outlook are blocking this forum's emails again. I've tried changing my email address to my Outlook email addy, but the confirmation never arrives. If I revert back to my old email address hosted at MX Route, it arrives no problem.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote