EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:20 PM   #1
arw4f

take some pointers from gmail

I'd never really consider leaving FM for Gmail. No matter how cool, a free provider cannot match all the features of a paid service. Even if they give way more storage!

Anyway, I'd love to see the FM interface tweaked to take some of the cool features from Gmail. In many cases the Gmail interface is faster than Fastmail!

Perhaps, a totally different FM interface could be designed and each user could have the option of choosing their interface type. I realize that's a lot to ask, but I thought I should at least bring up the idea.
arw4f is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:23 PM   #2
bplat
Cornerstone of the Community

Right. So anyone not running Internet Explorer can go and find some other provider? In case you haven't noticed, GMail is using those dreaded ActiveX components I thought had been buried years ago.

-...ert
bplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Ilja

I can access gmail with Safari on OSX without any problems. So what activeX are you talking about?
Ilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:02 AM   #4
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
gmail uses quite a bit of javascript, but they use it to good effect to sort of "cache" things and speed things up.

Are there any features in particular that people are thinking of?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:04 AM   #5
arw4f

gmail works great in mozilla, mozilla firefox, camino, safari and internet explorer. I've tested with all of these. I have not tested with Opera...however if all these others work...then I'd guess it does too.

I'm not saying that FM should do things exactly the same way that GM does them...just that some of the ideas might be implemented by FM...the best way they see fit.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:08 AM   #6
arw4f

Rob, I think the javascript 'caching' feel is what contributes to the speed...as you said.
Quote:
The speed appears to be one of the best features. The threading of the message view is cool. The 'inline' reply or forward is nifty too.

Perhaps one of the things that's slowing FM down a little for me is my listing of folders. When I collapse them (and therefore can't view them) things are a bit more snappy. Not sure what can be done to speed that up though.

I will see if there are other specific features I can come up with.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:02 AM   #7
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I've been finding that the recent speed improvements, the limiting factor is sometimes the rendering speed of my browser.

Go to the mailbox screen, then try chaning to another folder. Generally I see after about 1/2 second the completion bar shows that the document is all downloaded, then it spends about another 1/2 second before it's actually rendered it.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:08 AM   #8
Ilja

I agree as said here

Gmail is a good example of a slick looking, fast and usable interface. Fastmail should really consider redesigning, since the new 'improvements' only seem to make the matters worse
Ilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:40 AM   #9
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
gmail uses quite a bit of javascript, but they use it to good effect to sort of "cache" things and speed things up.

Rob
I kinda like the ability to label messages by clicking the star thingy in gmail.... its very simplistic yet effective.. thats the only thing I liked about gmails interface..

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:42 AM   #10
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by arw4f
have not tested with Opera...however if all these others work...then I'd guess it does too.

<rant>
grrr it doesnt work with me opera... grrrrrrrrrr </rant>

Jinu Johnson
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:01 AM   #11
ayahuasca

Yeah it won't work for me in Opera either. Even if I tell Opera to lie and pretend it's Mozilla or IE Google still knows...somehow.
ayahuasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:09 AM   #12
injinuity

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=gmail
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:14 AM   #13
bplat

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilja
I can access gmail with Safari on OSX without any problems. So what activeX are you talking about?
My bad. I prolly confused it with some other site. It doesn't work with Opera, though. Not just unsupported-- it won't work.

-...ert
bplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 06:07 AM   #14
ayahuasca

Apparently, it uses ActiveX to determine whether or not you're running IE only. Even if the answer is yes, it doesn't use ActiveX from that point forth. I learned this from injinuity's excellent link, thanks injinuity!
ayahuasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2004, 06:54 AM   #15
Sherry

Re: take some pointers from gmail

Quote:
Originally posted by arw4f
In many cases the Gmail interface is faster than Fastmail!
I can't help thinking that might be because of the smaller amount of users and most may not have near as much mail to load (yet) in gmail as in FM?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote