EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Feb 2024, 01:41 AM   #16
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Oh boy. I've seen a lot of email services come and go over the last 20+ years. I think, at one time, I had them all.

I have several gmail accounts. Lost access to a couple of them. I was an early user and was able to snag simple addresses which has turned out not to be a good thing. I received other people's mail with addresses close to mine and vice versa. Not so much a problem now so maybe gmail made changes.

I used Zoho for many years and only recently have closed accounts. No issues and zoho is reliable.

Yandex was another favourite. Recently closed my accounts there too.

I've had a mail.uk account for many years. Solid service with a simple android app.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2024, 04:37 AM   #17
Kostia

what's an email name

sorry....probably bad wording....email address name.

Mailbox allows you a wide variety of suffixes (@email.com, @malbox.com, others) so you are able to use your name without the numbers (like gmail).

Thought that was a neat twist.
Kostia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2024, 10:21 AM   #18
truemagic

Gmail (early adopter, 2004/2005)
Tutanota (2022? -- this is quite a hit and miss for me)
MXroute (2023)
lots of others...

TBH I've recently trying to slim down my email ownerships (lol) to only one or two but damn it's hard!
Because each provider is unique on its own and there will never be a PERFECT email (subjective).
Apart from Gmail, the longest I've been with is FastMail but I've recently closed account there because I don't like the fact that they recycle email address, although I do have a bunch of custom domains.
I like to have "own" the email address which is not my custom domains, for example:

Proton (accidentally deleted my firstname@ hence I never looked back)
Tutanota (same comment as above)
Skiff (ya all know what happened)
Infomaniak (my favourite since last week lol)
Zoho (nice but mobile app is crap to me)
HEY (got my firstname@ here as well but too expensive for me)
OnMail (love and hate, lack of lots of features and updates are too slow)
cock.li (never used it register just for fun, roundcube-only)
RiseUp (rarely use but nothing special, roundcube-only)
Disroot (not bad but same as cock.li and RiseUp, roundcube-only)
Lots of others I didn't mention

Last edited by truemagic : 22 Feb 2024 at 10:34 AM.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2024, 03:21 PM   #19
xylon

@QQ.com, from 2006 to now, 18 years. For now, we mainly use @disroot.org. @QQ and A/I are converted to secondary mailboxes. So far, disroot.org is my favorite email, but due to the use of too long, my @disroot.org account has been crawled too many times on the web, so I have the idea of changing riseup email, but riseup seems to be unable to register...
xylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2024, 07:33 PM   #20
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

The only one I am sure of is AOL, I got that date from AOL. The rest from bookmark creation date, except the Outlook (Hotmail) account, that was an account I created before I retired in 2003. The only email I had before that was a Japanese ISP account.

AOL 2003
Bluehome.net 2009
EUMX.net 2012
Gmail 2005
GMX.com 2008
Outlook 2002
Yahoo 2004
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2024, 08:05 PM   #21
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I've recently trying to slim down my email ownerships (lol) to only one or two but damn it's hard!
I've begun to do the same because I have found it is hard to keep track of miscellaneous email addresses and where they may have been used in the distant past. If someone figures out how to take over that old address you might not even be aware, and it could be used for mischief. Plus, I am into simplifying my digital life. I don't need six different ways of doing the same things!
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2024, 10:42 PM   #22
rscaramelo

I have been curious about Infomaniak. Working well? Do you think you'll be with this one long term?
I like the Zoho app. What is it that you don't like?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
Gmail (early adopter, 2004/2005)
Tutanota (2022? -- this is quite a hit and miss for me)
MXroute (2023)
lots of others...

TBH I've recently trying to slim down my email ownerships (lol) to only one or two but damn it's hard!
Because each provider is unique on its own and there will never be a PERFECT email (subjective).
Apart from Gmail, the longest I've been with is FastMail but I've recently closed account there because I don't like the fact that they recycle email address, although I do have a bunch of custom domains.
I like to have "own" the email address which is not my custom domains, for example:

Proton (accidentally deleted my firstname@ hence I never looked back)
Tutanota (same comment as above)
Skiff (ya all know what happened)
Infomaniak (my favourite since last week lol)
Zoho (nice but mobile app is crap to me)
HEY (got my firstname@ here as well but too expensive for me)
OnMail (love and hate, lack of lots of features and updates are too slow)
cock.li (never used it register just for fun, roundcube-only)
RiseUp (rarely use but nothing special, roundcube-only)
Disroot (not bad but same as cock.li and RiseUp, roundcube-only)
Lots of others I didn't mention
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2024, 12:14 AM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I have been curious about Infomaniak. Working well? Do you think you'll be with this one long term?
They only allow Swiss and European residents to sign up.
Quote:
This offer is only available to Swiss and European residents and requires a corresponding telephone number.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2024, 05:13 AM   #24
odedp
Master of the @

Fastmail - when it was still a free service (1999)
Pobox - 2001
When Fastmail bought Pobox I cancelled Fastmail but continue to use their web interface (like I always did) with my Pobox Mailstore account
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2024, 08:36 AM   #25
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
I like the Zoho app. What is it that you don't like?
Thanks
Ah yes, I like Infomaniak email suite more it has less bugs than Zoho. Don't get me wrong, Zoho is champion of offerings (Calendar, Task, Notes , Drive etc) and I once wanted to settle with Zoho. And in terms of web interface, Zoho works great. However when it comes to mobile app, it's slow and the interface just doesn't click. I even tried to use it's IMAP on a third party app (FairEmail) but all I can say is Zoho implementation of IMAP and CALDAV/CARDDAV is not standard. I just can't make simple things to work.

On the other hand Infomaniak makes simple things work and its web interface has everything that is needed, mail, calendar and contacts. I'm also using its CALDAV/CARDDAV to replace my Google calendar and contacts, works like a charm. Also, it's mobile app is way more stable and pleasing to use (albeit lack of configurations which you need to do it via the web interface).

All of these are my personal experience and YMMV.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2024, 11:46 AM   #26
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
They only allow Swiss and European residents to sign up.
I did t realize that. Disappointing
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote