EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 May 2002, 09:49 AM   #1
imho
Essential Contributor

Please make it possible to use 24 hour time format!

Hi.

I would very much like to have the possibility to use the 24 hour time format instead of the AM/PM time format consistently on all pages of the web interface.

I'm sure that FastMail has a lot of users/customers who don't normally use AM/PM. Personally, I have to stop reading and do a quick translation from AM/PM to 24h in my head all the time which is quite annoying (belive it or not).

This should be optional through a setting on the Options page. Ideally, also the date format should be possible to change, but this is not as important as there are a lot of more possibilities and the current date format is a good compromise that I think everybody easily can understand.

Perhaps this could be considered as a part of the big UI update that we all look forward to?

imho

PS. Edwin, this goes for EmailDiscussions.com too
imho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2002, 11:39 AM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I agree — I've always used 24-hour format whenever possible; why pretend that the day is only 12 hours long, when it's actually 24?
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Shelded

Thumbs up

yessssss
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2002, 02:42 PM   #4
munchkin

I agree. 24 hour format should be optional.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2002, 05:51 PM   #5
matthewo

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
why pretend that the day is only 12 hours long, when it's actually 24?
Because thats one of the things that helps me get through the day ...I may be fooling myself, but the delusion that there isnt long to go until home/dinner/bed time is sometimes comforting

But fair enough, im sure those organised/army type people would find it very useful...
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2002, 06:46 PM   #6
nic76
Essential Contributor

it would be cool to be able to choose our own date format
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 06:09 AM   #7
Stinger

24 Hour.........A BIG YES!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 06:17 AM   #8
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

Frankly speaking I dont see the big deal....I mean the isnt it easier to just say 5.30 pm than 1730.... and I totally agree with what matthewo said...

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 06:48 AM   #9
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by injinuity
Frankly speaking I dont see the big deal....I mean the isnt it easier to just say 5.30 pm than 1730.... and I totally agree with what matthewo said...
Jinu, i guess your in a country where am/pm is used all the time. So your used to it, like some people are used to inches and miles. I'm used to neither, so for me it's always calculating: am --> before noon, pm = after noon, 12 pm = half past midday not past midnight, ... I'm used to see dates and times in formats like: 'friday 10 may 2001', '10/05/2001 23:45'. When i see '1/2/3' to me that's 1 february 2003, because that's the way it's written in full in my mothertongue.
Old 11 May 2002, 06:56 AM   #10
injinuity

Granted.....but I always thought that am/pm was standardised thats why I made the above remarks...anyway I guess I was wrong and I know how frsutrating it is when the units of measure ment are different....I'm used to Kilometeres and it just is irritating when I come across Miles per hour etc....so I guess people requesting the 24 hour format has a valid case...

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 07:02 AM   #11
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by injinuity
but I always thought that am/pm was standardised thats why I made the above remarks...
It is the standard, apparently in the country you live and if i'm not mistaken in every anglo-saksen country. In the rest of europe 24-hour format is the standard. I have no idea about the rest of the world, it will most likely depend on who colonized a country.
Old 11 May 2002, 09:06 AM   #12
mklose

Quote:
When i see '1/2/3' to me that's 1 february 2003,
Yep. To me too, except I would write at least 03, more likely 2003.

It was confusing in the US where it was the other way round when I lived there last year for a few months.

But on my harddisk I store all files which I update often as YYYYYMMDD, because this sorts them chronologically when you sort them alphabetically.

But in the US you get used to the weights and measures quite easily.

1/4 = approx a liter.
1/2 = a little less than 2l

1 lbs = a bit less than a metric pound

1 yard = 10% less than a meter.

Just miles, that takes a bit of getting used to. But in the car I had (and still own) it at least had both. As long as you're only over 10% of the limit then you're OK. And besides, you don't really calculate miles to km that often.

Oh, and Fahrenheit to Celcius. But subtact 30, devide it by 2, and you're about right. But that too is something you get a feel for pretty quickly.

But back on topic. AM/PM and date format is definately something important.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 09:43 AM   #13
AlexMorris

Quote:
Originally posted by mklose

a metric pound
Does such a thing exist?
AlexMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 09:50 AM   #14
mail2me
Master of the @

Lightbulb

Yes, 24 hour format is definitely better. The AM/PM is the ancient generation system. Fancy that a next gerenation email service still using an obsolete time system

If I may add further it would be useful to include the time zone next to it in this international world where we are not limited by the boundaries of a country. Just a suggestion.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2002, 09:55 AM   #15
mklose

Quote:
Originally posted by alexmorris

Does such a thing exist?
500g
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote