EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Nov 2021, 12:10 AM   #1
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

FM Shortcuts Not Working? (Probably just me..)

I'm trying to use FMs keyboard shortcuts, but most of them don't seem to work.

For example, pressing "C" should open the calendar, but it doesn't. (Lower case "c" does compose a new message.) In the calendar, pressing "M" should change to Monthly view, but it doesn't. Seems like all the capitalized shortcuts are giving me problems.

Also, pressing "1" should show all calendars, but it changes to *no* calendars.

I tried in both Firefox and Chromium Edge; the later doesn't have any add-ons enabled.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Nov 2021, 12:37 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Of course, you must first enable keyboard shortcuts in Settings>Customize>Preferences>(show advanced preferences)>Keyboard shortcuts.

The current shortcuts are shown at:
https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...s/360058753534

On any screen (when the focus is not on an entry field), you can see the available shortcuts using ?. That also brings up a link at the bottom to get to the shortcut listing page shown above.

The correct shortcut to reach the calendar (or any other feature accessed through the big upper left main button) is Shift-g, followed by the desired feature such as C for Calendar, A for contActs,N for Notes, F for Files, and S for Settings. You can't just type capital C.

In the Calendar, use v (followed by the first letter) to switch views. So vm switches to Month view, vw switches to Week view, vd switches to Day view, vc switches to by calendar view, and vu switches to Upcoming view. Entering / moves the focus to the Search Calendar box and brings up a list of upcoming events (which I really like).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2021, 03:04 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Oooooooh! Again, probably just me, but the keyboard shortcuts UI is a bit confusing.

After clicking an option, I've been hovering over the sub menu items to see the associated keyboard shortcuts. For example when selecting the "mode" drop down (Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc.), it shows the keyboard shortcut for the function, but you first have to activate the initial keyboard shortcut for the "mode" drop down (in this case, Shift-G).

...or to change the calendar view, you have to first use the keyboard shortcut for view (v) -- not click on the view button -- to change to a different view.

Thanks for the clarification, Bill!
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2021, 03:12 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Oooooooh! Again, probably just me, but the keyboard shortcuts UI is a bit confusing. … Thanks for the clarification, Bill!
You are most welcome. Yes, it can be confusing to get so many keyboard shortcuts implemented, and many two-character shortcuts are needed. I just discovered the ? shortcut which shows the shortcuts on the viewed screen and provides the link to the shortcuts listing page. But so far I haven’t found a shortcut to that link! I’m going to contact Fastmail and suggest ?? as a shortcut to the shortcut listing page.

By the way, I use Labels mode and I often use the L shortcut to add labels to the message, and the Y shortcut to archive the message (which in Labels mode is just removing the Inbox label). I find it very useful to be able to add multiple labels to certain messages, so they appear to show up in multiple “folders” (actually label markers).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2021, 09:12 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

When I was there i always had scripts disabled so none of those shortcuts would have worked anyway..
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2021, 03:01 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

It's a pity keyboard shortcuts cannot be customized.
Much of the time my keyboard layout is not English and then most keyboard shortcuts are unavailable.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote