EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:18 AM   #1
nomad
Essential Contributor

Who uses the oldest computer here?

Hi,

just curious if there are any other people out there who are as "oldfashioned" as I am.

My notebook is 6 year old notebook, has only 120MHz and 48MB RAM and am pleased with it although nobody takes you serious with such an computer...

So anybody out there who can "beat" me? Who uses the oldest computer?

Greetings, nomad

Last edited by nomad : 20 Nov 2003 at 02:35 AM.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:37 AM   #2
Gankaku

Re: Who uses the oldest computer here?

Quote:
[i]Who uses the oldest computer here? [/b]
Not me! see here LOL

But in a (feeble) attempt to "beat" you, we still have an old 486 machine running Win95. It's got 96meg of ram tho'. I don't think the thing would run with 48 LOL...and with 96 it's still too slow for most games. We're basically retiring this machine, and we'll only have it for the maybe 2 or 3 remaining games that need Win95 to run. And we certainly don't use it for every day work.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 04:56 AM   #3
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

Anybody interested in a 32MB win95 computer, 166 mhz? at least I think that were the specs about 7 years ago.

And we (well my boys) still use it to play certain games on it allthough it takes about 6 minutes to start up and makes all kinds of weird noises. But as long as it works, it's allowed to stay.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 05:50 AM   #4
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

My computer is a P75 (October 1995) and was originally 8Mb(!), although it crawled like a snail until I added another 64Mb for a total of 72.

It does almost everything I want, but I'd like to update it so I can play more recent games and use my USB storage devices directly.  I'm thinking of a secondhand p3/500...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 07:06 AM   #5
Sherry

Re: Re: Who uses the oldest computer here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
But in a (feeble) attempt to "beat" you, we still have an old 486 machine running Win95.
In another "feeble" attempt to beat you (but I'm sure won't count) I still have an old Tandy running DeskMate, bought back in the 80's, I need to use once in awhile. Only has 640 conventional mem.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:24 AM   #6
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

We have an extremely old computer that hasn't got a CDRom and can only be used to play a few games which were on it when we got it. It is in our daughter's bedroom and she can play "the Wheel of Fortune","Hangman","Golf",and some card games and a few other things on it and that's all it's good for,but it was free, a friend didn't want it anymore and asked us if we did. We have an older Compaq Office downstairs that has a Windows 98 operating system on it but it has very little memory and is good for some of the younger children's games,it is far too slow for the 12-year-old's games.Our best computer is this one,it's a Compaq Presario Windows XP Home Edition and we have only had it since August.But I think we win for the oldest one with the first one I mentioned. Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:39 AM   #7
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanUKF
We have an extremely old computer that hasn't got a CDRom
You mean yours had a Hard Drive??? When I bought mine, it didn't have a Hard Drive. Everything ran on floppy drives.

Sherry
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:47 AM   #8
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

All I know is all we can play on it are the games that are on it,we can't do anything else with it.We tried to hook a printer up to it but that wouldn't work.You know soooooo much more about computers than I do,Sherry!!(as you know)I'm not sure what it has,maybe you win,I really don't know!! We are going to hook up the middle one I mentioned to the internet soon,we bought the equipment but haven't got around to it yet,it will be slow for games but should work okay for this forum and my emails,chaterooms,etc. if one of the children needs this one for homework or games.I think so, anyway,with the DSL high-speed internet connected to it.Am I correct in thinking this? Thanks.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Sherry

Quote:
maybe you win
Nope. Can't count mine. It's not my main pc like nomad's is (or even used very much).

Sherry
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:58 AM   #10
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Ohhhhhh,my fault,he wins hands down then,I thought he wanted to know who had the oldest computer and didn't realize he was talking about the main one we use.Sorry!!
Old 20 Nov 2003, 12:55 PM   #11
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Ohhhhhh,my fault,he wins hands down then,I thought he wanted to know who had the oldest computer and didn't realize he was talking about the main one we use.Sorry!!
Susan, if your computer is running, MS-DOS 3 and below, using 5.45" floppy disks (I still got tons of them stacked... ) running either CGA or EGA monitor you might have the oldest. You might have a small harddisk. It probably an XT computer.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:17 PM   #12
CyberSmurf

I don't even turn on my old computers any more .

I tried whipping off a quick program on my Atari 800 a few months back and I had to exercise the keys a bit before they would work. I ended up giving up.

I keep thinking that I should back-up all my DOS & Windows 3.x software for my 486. The diskettes probably gone bad by now.

The computer that I do use, the one that I am sitting at right now, is a 350MHz Pentium II. I had bought a cheap(!!) 1.7GHz P4 Celeron, but it is still sitting in the garage waiting for me to find the space & time to set it up.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:23 PM   #13
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Cybersmurf, I still have the older softwares which I archived them to CDs. From DOS to Windows 3.11 to Turbo Pascal.... I don't use them. But they are still good for nostalgia sake. (did I got the spelling correct??)
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:31 PM   #14
Sherry

I'm still using some "old" DOS programs, utilities and games I had to pull off my 5¼. That's why I had to use the old pc to copy to the 3½. I'm using them in both WME and WXP. (and they work!)

Sherry
Old 20 Nov 2003, 09:34 PM   #15
bplat
Cornerstone of the Community

I've no idea if I'm going to earn any kudo's for this, but I've just booted up an old Compaq Concerto. Anyone remember them? The one you could use with a pen interface, with Pen-Windows 3.1. Sort of a stone-age tablet pc. Apart from that a pretty standard 486-25 with all of 32 megs of ram in it.
bplat is offline   Reply With Quote