EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Trizum

Changing E-Mail Address

I was wondering if there is a way for me to change my e-mail address.

My subscription runs out in March and I would like to change my e-mail address before the price change.

Thank you for your assistance,
Trizum
Trizum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Trizum,

While it is possible to change your Runbox username, it involves some manual operations by us and it would be better if you can use email aliases to accomplish what you want.

Otherwise, please email Runbox Support with your request (remember to reply to the autoreply).

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2005, 08:59 AM   #3
MikhailT

Umm, you do know that you can have up to 5 alias for your runbox account right?
MikhailT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Trizum

I looked through the help page and could not find where the e-mail address is for Runbox Support.

Also, I am aware that there are aliases, but I am interested in changing my acutal address due to the fact that I need a more professional and simple e-mail address.

Thank you for your time,
Trizum
Trizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2005, 11:23 AM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Trizum
I looked through the help page and could not find where the e-mail address is for Runbox Support.
It's right on the main help page:

Getting help
Please look carefully in the Help sections, as you will most likely find the answer to your question. If you are experiencing problems with Runbox, please follow these steps:

1. Check the Service Status page to see if Runbox is already aware of the problem.
2. Try the Runbox Wizard, which contains answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
3. Send a message to support AT runbox DOT com OR billing AT runbox DOT com (subscription queries only). The support address has an autoreply - please check it before you reply back to it for personal help.
4. Search for answers or post a question in the Runbox Forum, monitored by the Runbox Staff and many Runbox users (third-party registration required). To get help, please include an exact description of the problems you are experiencing, when the problems started, and any settings you have changed that might have affected functionality. If your problems are account-specific, please also provide your Runbox username.
5. Send a message to the Runbox Mailing list. You can subscribe or edit your settings at lists.runbox.no and browse the mailinglist archives.
6. If your issue still isn't resolved, find more Help Resources.

Quote:
Also, I am aware that there are aliases, but I am interested in changing my acutal address due to the fact that I need a more professional and simple e-mail address.
An alias basically is just another Runbox email address that feeds to your primary address. There are only two real differences. One, you can't login with it. No one else but you will know that. And two, but this may be a a BIG difference, the autoresponder currently does not work with aliases or hosted domains. It only works with the primary account address.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2005, 04:13 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Trizum

... Also, I am aware that there are aliases, but I am interested in changing my acutal address due to the fact that I need a more professional and simple e-mail address ...
Trizum
Sounds as if you want your own domain e-mail address such as me@myprofessionalname.com. RunBox and many other providers support that, but you have to buy (Register) your own domain, then configure DNS services (MX record) to point to RunBox. It's not too difficult.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 04:14 AM   #7
damole

changing because of too much spam

After having this email address for two years I'm again at the point where I feel I have to change it because I get too much spam.

I thought the best way to proceed is to register my own domain and selectively give different email addresses to people depending on how likely they are to include me on those annoying junk circulars. This way if the spam I get now is related to how widely distributed my email address has become then those that I use for important purposes, my bank etc, should receive almost no spam and the others, friends, forums etc, would automatically be filtered to different mail boxes and not clutter up my inbox.

Does this seem like an intelligent way to deal with my situation?

--aidan
damole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 07:50 AM   #8
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
That's what I do. I use a format such as this:

sitename-userid@mydomain.com

or

sitename.userid@mydomain.com

where "sitename" is the site I'm giving my email address to (ex. emaildiscussions.com), "userid" is something to identify it is mine or my wife's or another family members and "mydomain.com" is my registered domain.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 May 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
damole

mx record vs forwarding

Thanks for the reply.

So after thinking more about this I started to test with a domain I am maintaining. I set the mx record on the web hosting site and after some time the emails starting appearing in my runbox account, great! Then I thought why don't I just set a forward on the hosting site to receive the emails in my runbox account.

So why would I choose method one over the other?

best
aidan
damole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 08:56 PM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Forwarding does add an extra step in the delivery process. It first goes to the server specified by the MX record. Then, in the case of forwarding, the server has to lookup your forwarding rules and resend the email to the address specified in the forwarding rule. Which would take more time.

But that would be your choice. Forwarding usually works fine for most of my domains.

Regards,
Rich