EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Mar 2021, 09:00 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

FM and iPhones

I've been an Android phone user, so please excuse the basic question that I haven't found a clear answer on. If you use Fastmail as your email provider along with iPhones and Macs can you send and receive your domain email using the native Apple apps, and will everything work properly? Will people receiving your emails see something tipping them off that the mail is being sent via Apple apps?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Mar 2021, 04:21 AM   #2
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I've been an Android phone user, so please excuse the basic question that I haven't found a clear answer on. If you use Fastmail as your email provider along with iPhones and Macs can you send and receive your domain email using the native Apple apps, and will everything work properly?
If you have a Standard account or a legacy account, then yes. If you just signed up for a Basic account, then no, because FastMail removed the app password feature for Basic accounts.

Quote:
Will people receiving your emails see something tipping them off that the mail is being sent via Apple apps?
Why? Would you be embarrassed to admit you're using a Mac or iPhone?

If someone examines the headers of a message, they'll be able to see the client used. If you don't clear the default signature on an iPhone, it'll say something like "Sent from my iPhone" at the bottom.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2021, 04:33 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
If someone examines the headers of a message, they'll be able to see the client used.
I don't think all email clients reveal that to the recipient. I wonder if Fastmail reveals that if you are sending via Thunderbird for example?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2021, 04:39 AM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I don't think all email clients reveal that to the recipient. I wonder if Fastmail reveals that if you are sending via Thunderbird for example?
Most email clients add a header. Fastmail doesn't remove it.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2021, 12:08 AM   #5
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Thunderbird adds a header to email it sends, which identifies Thunderbird and also the version number of Thunderbird and the operating system which sent it.

Fastmail does not delete this header of course - an email vendor is not supposed to delete headers added by the email client.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 03:46 AM   #6
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I've been an Android phone user, so please excuse the basic question that I haven't found a clear answer on. If you use Fastmail as your email provider along with iPhones and Macs can you send and receive your domain email using the native Apple apps, and will everything work properly?
Actually, if your'e using the Apple apps, things will work better with Fastmail than with most other email services.

A few years ago, Fastmail put in the work with Apple to build in support for native push notification services on iOS Mail. AFAIK, this is something that no other email provider offers to the same level as Fastmail.

Even iCloud and Yahoo (which was the original recommended third-party email service for the iPhone back in the day), only support push for new messages. This means that if you read, move, delete, or flag a message from another device, it won't get updated on your iPhone until you manually refresh.

With Fastmail, however, all mailbox changes are pushed to all of your iOS devices. So if your Mail app on your iPhone is showing a red "5" badge because you have five unread messages, and you read those anywhere else — on your Mac, your iPad, or even in the Fastmail web interface — that count will update almost immediately. It's really quite magical.

In fact, Fastmail has taken it a step further to allow other folders to be pushed as well —*not just the Inbox. You have to either set these as favourites in the iOS Mail app or select them under your Fastmail account in Settings->Mail->Accounts->Fetch New Data, but once enabled, any changes in those mailboxes will also be immediately pushed to your device.

Note that all of this only applies to the iOS Mail app. Apple Mail on the Mac simply uses the more standard IMAP IDLE, which works with just about any IMAP mail provider, but that feature is a killer on battery life, since it requires a persistent connection to the IMAP server, so it's not used on the iPhone and iPad.

While there are third-party iPhone mail apps that also provide push notifications, these don't use IMAP IDLE either; instead they rely on an intermediate server to log into your Fastmail account, and then push the notifications out from the third-party developer's server. This is how Microsoft Outlook, Airmail, Spark, and a host of others provide their own real-time push notifications with just about any mail server. However, that also means you're basically giving that other company access to your Fastmail account so it can check for new mail on your behalf.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote