EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Nov 2013, 04:22 AM   #1
rblon
Essential Contributor

iOS 7 Mail multiple "from"

I have one FastMail account, but use different "from" email adresses AND different "from" names ("Jane Doe" <janedoe@fastmail.fm> and "Jane Smith-Doe" <janesmithdoe@fastmail.fm>). Does anyone know if it is possible to set-up iOS 7 Mail for this? It seems one account and multiple email addresses is supported, but not not multiple "from" names.
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Nov 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
I have one FastMail account, but use different "from" email adresses AND different "from" names ("Jane Doe" <janedoe@fastmail.fm> and "Jane Smith-Doe" <janesmithdoe@fastmail.fm>). Does anyone know if it is possible to set-up iOS 7 Mail for this? It seems one account and multiple email addresses is supported, but not not multiple "from" names.
While, in general, I use IMAP in my clients, I have come to the conclusion that POP is better for the IOS 7 mail client.

When my customers have multiple personalities, they usually use separate inboxes. I set up the personalities on the phone by using the usernames johndoe+inbox1, johndoe+inbox2 etc. where inbox1, inbox2 etc is the folder used for the incoming mail for that personality. The ability to do this is a really nice Fastmail feature.

You should also consider disabling the apple mail client and simply using the new (browser based) mobile client at beta.fastmail.fm. I am not finished exploring it, but my initial reaction has been positive. I try to avoid changing the email experience of my customers, but using this client simplifies many issues, not least that of contact syncing.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
gcrouse

Quote:
In IOS Settings, Mail etc, go to your fastmail account, tap on Account, then Email, and you will have an option called "Add Another Email..."
gcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
rblon
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
In IOS Settings, Mail etc, go to your fastmail account, tap on Account, then Email, and you will have an option called "Add Another Email..."
But the problem is that you can only add another email address, not use a different name.

BritTim, I guess you're suggesting to set-up a 2nd account on the iPhone/iPad, right? I'm not keen to use POP (feels like going back to the 20th century). What is in this case the advantage compared to IMAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
You should also consider disabling the apple mail client and simply using the new (browser based) mobile client at beta.fastmail.fm. I am not finished exploring it, but my initial reaction has been positive. I try to avoid changing the email experience of my customers, but using this client simplifies many issues, not least that of contact syncing.
It seems you then lose email notifications...
Old 24 Nov 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
At least on Apple Mail I am able to set up different from e-mail addresses. So it is still from Soromak<e-mail1@domain.com> and Soromak<e-mail2@domain.com>. You add these addresses separated with comma.
I do not have iOS Mail, but I hope it helps.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As rblon says, it's possible to add additional email addresses but not individual names for an account.

And if you try to add another IMAP account, it won't allow another account with the same login ID. And Fastmail requires you to use the main account email address to log in, not an alias.

I will ask FM staff if there is any way to get around these limits. The big problem is the iOS Mail not allowing multiple accounts with the same login ID.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2013, 03:40 PM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
... if you try to add another IMAP account, it won't allow another account with the same login ID. And Fastmail requires you to use the main account email address to log in, not an alias.
...Bill
Remember that the '@' in the login ID can be replaced with several other characters ('#", '/' or '=') to overcome this type of issue. See Alternate usernames near the bottom of https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...and_ports.html for details.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
rblon
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Remember that the '@' in the login ID can be replaced with several other characters ('#", '/' or '=') to overcome this type of issue. See Alternate usernames near the bottom of https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...and_ports.html for details.
That is a great suggestion. So now i am able to add a second account on the iPhone (same Fastmail account) and then I can send emails using the other profile name.

I have set it to manual fetch (to avoid getting two email notifications), but then the problem is that I will always reply by default from the first account. Any ideas how to avoid that? Can i set the the second IMAP account to check "another inbox" (Then I set it up such that email to the second email address arrives in that folder/inbox as BritTim suggested earlier)