EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Oct 2014, 11:37 PM   #1
zyler

Using FM's SMTP w/o sharing my full credentials

As GMAIL now does not allow me to use their smtp servers to send email in the name of my domains managed on Fastmail, I need to use ANOther smtp service. The obvious answer is to use Fastmail's servers.

I am though not keen on handing my Fastmail account credentials over to GMAIL (or indeed, any other service where I need to use the Fastmail servers).

Is there a way of using the Fastmail smtp servers, authenticated against my account, without using credentials that would give another party access to my fastmail account to read my emails or change my settings?

(I appreciate the need to avoid spammer relay abuse by making sure only authenticated users are exploiting the fastmail smtp servers.)

For info, I have a family account with an enhanced account. (Used to have multiple accounts, but the rest of the family have moved on.)
zyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Oct 2014, 01:56 AM   #2
rblon
Essential Contributor

I support this... and still hope it will happen this year:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=574570
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2014, 06:35 AM   #3
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
I support this... and still hope it will happen this year:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=574570
Not this year. Too many other things happening (fastmail.com, mobile apps, CardDAV, etc). Its still pretty high on the list though.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:13 PM   #4
paul29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyler View Post
without using credentials that would give another party access to my fastmail account to read my emails or change my settings?
You can set an alternate password that prevents your settings from being changed, but your email would still be readable under it. I'm a little confused, are you saying you want gmail to send through FM? Can they even do that? It surprises me.

Meanwhile I guess you could set up some kind of relay between gmail and FM, that held your FM credential carefully away from Google?
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:47 PM   #5
zyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
You can set an alternate password that prevents your settings from being changed, but your email would still be readable under it. I'm a little confused, are you saying you want gmail to send through FM? Can they even do that? It surprises me.

Meanwhile I guess you could set up some kind of relay between gmail and FM, that held your FM credential carefully away from Google?
I think I might have to look for a relay service. The non settings idea though would help.

Yes, GMAIL uses whatever smtp service you specify for sending out mail in the name of additional email addresses you add to your account. Until recently (and still for addresses already set up) you could use the GMAIL smtp servers to send such mail although they did it in a slightly non standards way which meant some email clients would see them as sent by gmailaccount on behalf of name@domain rather than just name@domain (Outlook in particular shows them this way). Native mail under your Gmail account name uses the Gmail smtp servers though. I generally avoid sending email using this identity (same as a I never send email using my fast mail account email address).
zyler is offline   Reply With Quote