EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Jan 2000, 04:05 PM   #1
DougS

Lightbulb Would like some opionions on this issue...

I just saw a post yesterday in a newsgroup from a supposed ex-excite employee, to keep it short and sweet i will just condense what he said in a nutshell:

He said the reason for excite plus alot of your other large mail portals for enhancing thier address books-Pims is that they compile the information from thier databases to sell to advertisers. He also brought up the point that if Hotmail was willing to pay $90,000 for a large chunk of email addresses from a company(Can't remember the name) then why would'nt all the others be willing to sell your friends and familys email addresses for a price ?

I really have to wonder this myself, i have signed up for accounts with alot of large email providers and in just a short amount of time the flow of UCE starts rolling in from everywhere. Some of the accounts i signed up for i never even used, not even once and during the signup period it gave me an option to not recieve mail from thier sponsers which i checked/unchecked, yet here i was a really popular guy with all these merchants i had never even heard of or had never even visited or emailed thier sites and to boot my wifes account got the same messages!!

Her account was the only one i had added to my address book. Anyway enough ranting on this subject, i would like to hear others opionions on this subject and maybe even a few who actually have had the same happen to themselves.

Whats your thoughts on this Edwin ? How secure are someones email addresses on a large email portal and where does it say that they can't pilfer our address books for our friends and familys email addresses and personal information ?
DougS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jan 2000, 11:13 PM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

I think I'll stand back from this debate and hope somebody with a legal background can fill in on what the law allows these companies to do. The one thing that I will say is that hearsay is always dangerous (even if it later turns out to be true).

I guess the answer to the question is buried very deeply in the "Terms & Conditions" document of the services in question (which may in turn refer to other documents such as a privacy policy).

Let's see what reactions spill out of this...
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote