EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 5 May 2005, 05:40 PM   #31
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Opera ads

Quote:
Originally posted by maskull
The Google ads are still running, recording your preferences - whatever they do... They are only not seen. Opera still is receiving revenue for showing them, (right?) ...
I am not 100% sure on this one, but I believe people hosting Google Ads are only paid per click-through, not per impression... So, no.

It took me nearly a year to convince myself to purchase Opera. A step I never regretted so far, especially since V8 came out and contrary to their earlier statements my V7 license still worked with it.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2005, 11:18 PM   #32
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Re: Opera ads

Quote:
Originally posted by maskull
At any rate, if you're worried about Google snooping: Never use Gmail, Yahoo, and so on ad nauseum ..
No, I'm not worried about snooping- not a paranoid bone in my body I use all the above to some degree. The ad strip at the top just isn't that big a deal to me--it's not obtrusive.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2005, 01:10 AM   #33
gdg

I was going to email a link to a page while using v8 of Opera...all I could find to do it was by right-clicking on the page, not in "File" at the top. Then, it was going to make me set up an account, rather than just bringing up my default email program. I can't seem to find where to change this. Anyone know?
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2005, 01:13 AM   #34
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gdg
I was going to email a link to a page while using v8 of Opera...all I could find to do it was by right-clicking on the page, not in "File" at the top. Then, it was going to make me set up an account, rather than just bringing up my default email program. I can't seem to find where to change this. Anyone know?
Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Programs/Use default email client on my computer
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2005, 01:15 AM   #35
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by kobukan
Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Programs/Use default email client on my computer
Thanks! I knew I had seen it before, but I kept skipping over it when looking through that section.
Old 8 May 2005, 08:07 AM   #36
gdg

Is there a way to rearrange the order toolbars are shown? (ie, have the address bar show above the page bar, etc)
Old 8 May 2005, 08:13 AM   #37
Webgenie

As far as I can see, you can specify the toolbars to be at the top, but not in a certain order.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2005, 05:47 PM   #38
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gdg
Is there a way to rearrange the order toolbars are shown? (ie, have the address bar show above the page bar, etc)
You can't have the address bar above the page bar. However you can use the main bar & add (drag & drop) the buttons and address field on to this bar & remove the ones on the main bar you don't want. Once you have done this turn off the address bar & hey presto.
Old 8 May 2005, 11:40 PM   #39
gdg

If you do that, does the main bar stay as thick as it normally is?
Old 8 May 2005, 11:47 PM   #40
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gdg
If you do that, does the main bar stay as thick as it normally is?
What I do is reduce the icon size to around 80% or use the small icons. Its then more or less the same size as the address bar.

See here http://www.shuridojo.com/images/operaimage.jpg
Old 9 May 2005, 05:21 AM   #41
gdg

Yeah...that's what I'm talking about. Seems to work great. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10 May 2005, 02:02 AM   #42
maskull

Right click on highlighted text

Opera goes beyond copy and paste. Right click on highlighted text and this menu pops up:

Copy text
Copy to note
Speak
Search
Search With (various choices)
Dictionary
Encyclopedia
Translate
Go to URL
Send by Mail

"Copy to note" is the Opera Notebook, located under tools. It opens in a new tab, and remembers previous sessions. Nice.

"Translate" is also worth checking out. Japanese to/from English, as well as major European, including Portuguese. Convenient, not a plug-in, no install required.

Last edited by maskull : 10 May 2005 at 03:28 AM.
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2005, 02:58 PM   #43
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Maskull,

That right clickin' stuff is something that i discovered through "non troppo's" tips and a beautiful one at that! If only i could do it for other search engines. Haven't figured how to do that one yet.

Good stuff!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2005, 07:03 PM   #44
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Dan,

Search Google for a tool called 'opsed' (OPera Search EDitor), that allows you to change which searchengines are used. I have no experience with altering which engines are being used, but it should work...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2005, 06:26 AM   #45
Webgenie

Not sure how that's done in TBird, but if Identities are used for outgoing mail only, you can simply configure an e-mail account that doesn't check for incoming. When you set it up, enter pop/imap info that you know won't work for incoming, then edit the already configured account so that it doesn't check for incoming mail.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote