EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:07 AM   #61
verbovet

I upgraded to the new prices (to me they are much better ) and discovered further discounts:
$90 / 2 years
$130 / 3 years
(the standard plan).
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:14 AM   #62
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Also announced yesterday.

A spiffy new Homepage
https://www.fastmail.com/[
All (social) media on the new homepage is mentioned, but no trace of the FastMail forum. Not even in the support section. New FM users will not know of the existence of a forum here.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:44 AM   #63
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
Streamlined pricing is nice but if you compare features to other options like Office 365 (Exchange Online) or Google Apps and you're willing to use those providers (I am) then you're getting quite a bit less for the same or more money by using FastMail. $4 (in the US) for Exchange Online gets you a 50GB mailbox with activesync. I think if FastMail added activesync it would be much more comparable to other services (using imap/caldav/carddav isn't as easy or nice as activesync).
I trialed O365 and while activesync was nice for my iPhone, there was no CalDAV/CardDAV to sync my Mac's desktop clients, and O365 doesn't accept vCards. O365's handling of aliases and domains was decidedly inferior to Fastmail's. I don't think O365 supports IMAP either.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:48 AM   #64
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I trialed O365 and while activesync was nice for my iPhone, there was no CalDAV/CardDAV to sync my Mac's desktop clients, and O365's handling of aliases and domains was decidedly inferior to Fastmail's. I don't think O365 supports IMAP either.
Good point about caldav/carddav on O365. It does support imap though.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:56 AM   #65
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
Good point about caldav/carddav on O365. It does support imap though.
Not IMAP IDLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
All (social) media on the new homepage is mentioned, but no trace of the FastMail forum.
They're trying to modernize ;p

The social media listed are all FastMail accounts.

EMD is for the cognoscenti ;p

--
there was no mention of the forum on the old homepage
just about any question a new user might have is covered in the FM Help pages

Last edited by pjwalsh : 19 Aug 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:03 AM   #66
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Regardless of other features, I just think charging $5/month warrants activesync support. Most every other major service at that price level supports it.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:35 AM   #67
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmrimmer View Post
That's my current hold out for now. My wife and I don't need all of the extra space. It would cost us $100 a year as opposed to the $35 that it would have been. Heck my two kids would bump it to $200. These prices seem prohibitively expensive for families and have pushed me to find an alternative. The flexibility of the plans was a major plus for FM. It seems like a massive oversight to completely remove it in its entirety. I honestly can't see any future families signing up at these prices. I was about to sign up under the old prices on my trial, but this bomb dropped without warning.
Yes, same for me. I was going to covert to a family account in September, as some of my family would be relatively light users, I cannot justify the new prices. As I want to share my domain (which is currently linked to my enhanced account) I am going to have to find an alternative solution.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 10:35 AM   #68
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmrimmer View Post
My wife and I don't need all of the extra space. It would cost us $100 a year as opposed to the $35 that it would have been. Heck my two kids would bump it to $200. These prices seem prohibitively expensive for families and have pushed me to find an alternative. The flexibility of the plans was a major plus for FM. It seems like a massive oversight to completely remove it in its entirety. I honestly can't see any future families signing up at these prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der View Post
But I have to say that I will no longer be able to recommend FM to families. It's just overkill. My wife and I combined don't use 25 GB. Heck, we don't use 15 GB, for that matter. And then to add a couple of children's accounts under a family domain...really, $50 apience for possibly more space than they will ever need...it's just too much.
If a domain is involved, FastMail is no longer practical for families.

Perhaps a Standard account could have a "family member" user category, allowing a limited number added at Basic rate and quota.

--
$30 per child is still a lot.

It's not just a matter of pricing. The FM multi-user account structure allows for a safer family-friendly mail service.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 19 Aug 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 01:32 PM   #69
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I trialed O365 and while activesync was nice for my iPhone, there was no CalDAV/CardDAV to sync my Mac's desktop clients, and O365 doesn't accept vCards. O365's handling of aliases and domains was decidedly inferior to Fastmail's. I don't think O365 supports IMAP either.
I do not use 0365 but Mac OS does support Exchange and I do not have problems with my work locally hosted Exchange 2013 contact/calendars/mail. Why do you want to sync them through Card/CalDAV?
Agreed that Exchange handling aliases is inferior to other providers- mainly due to issues with Send as alias.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 02:01 PM   #70
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
I do not use 0365 but Mac OS does support Exchange and I do not have problems with my work locally hosted Exchange 2013 contact/calendars/mail. Why do you want to sync them through Card/CalDAV?
O365 didn't support vCard (at least it didn't when I tried it, don't know about now) and I didn't want to have to manually reenter all of my contacts into O365.

I also thought that Fastmail's web interface was far superior, the Ajax-y keyboard-shortcut-rich interface of Fastmail is much faster to use for me.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 02:35 PM   #71
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
Good day.

I just renewed two enhanced accounts for three and five years, respectively. Will I be able to renew them when their current subscriptions expire, or will I have to upgrade to the new, more expensive plans?

Thank you.

--
Jacinto
I too would like to get an answer to Jacinto's question
Old 19 Aug 2016, 02:50 PM   #72
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
I too would like to get an answer to Jacinto's question
On FastMail's Facebook page, @PatheticCockroach asked:

Will those who have older plans always be able to renew them without switching to the new offers? I like my Enhanced plan and I certainly don't need an extra 10 GB on it - particularly for a 25% price increase.

FastMail answered:

For existing users on our previous plans there’s no change. Your current plan is unchanged and continues to offer the same features, for the same price as before. You can upgrade to one of our new plans at any time if you choose.

You can take that to the bank!
Old 19 Aug 2016, 03:14 PM   #73
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
On FastMail's Facebook page, @PatheticCockroach asked:

Will those who have older plans always be able to renew them without switching to the new offers? I like my Enhanced plan and I certainly don't need an extra 10 GB on it - particularly for a 25% price increase.

FastMail answered:

For existing users on our previous plans there’s no change. Your current plan is unchanged and continues to offer the same features, for the same price as before. You can upgrade to one of our new plans at any time if you choose.

You can take that to the bank!
Thank you Fred
I wish I was as sure as you are...
PatheticCockroach asked about the option to renew older plans.
Fastmail's answer says nothing regarding what happens when the current, old plan, expires
I would like to see a clear statement from Fastmail confirming that old plans could be renewed, when expired, for the same prices as today.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 05:59 PM   #74
mekitron

Angry FastMail - beyond the reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
You can upgrade to one of our new plans at any time if you choose.
Whenever a family account is upgraded, rest of the accounts need to be upgraded as well because we cannot mix small and large accounts any more.

Fastmail, if you want to be in business kindly introduce smaller plans as well. I don't know what my 17 years old brother will do with 25 GB. I, myself, never went beyond 350MBs in previous 18 months.

-Best

Last edited by mekitron : 20 Aug 2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 19 Aug 2016, 06:41 PM   #75
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass View Post
I like having a masteruser account and not giving my real account admin access for security reasons.
100% agree. A separate master admin is a useful security feature.
Closed Thread