EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 May 2005, 06:23 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Question Free provider suggestions?

I'm so pleased to find a site where the members actually have e-mail experience beyond Hotmail and Yahoo! Being fed up with both those and Gmail as well, I'm hoping that some of you would have some suggestions for me.

I'm looking for an e-mail option that would ideally:
Have been around long enough so it won't suddenly vanish
Be free
Offer at least 6MB storage
Have reliably stable access (i.e. better than Hotmail)
Be relatively uncluttered (i.e. unlike Yahoo)
Be simple (I know some people think Gmail is simple, but I don't)
Provide relatively good security and filters, but not the insane kind that only allows mail from known sources
Allow a 60-day period between log-ins, if possible
Not require name and address (yes, I know you can lie, but...)
Not require that you have a previous email address
Have some support (I only ask one or two questions a year, but I do want answers)

I'm too much of a newbie to even know what POP, IMAP, or SMTP are, so that's not at issue.

Any ideas?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 May 2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Gankaku

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

The best free one that would meet your needs is Fastmail.FM - lots of domains to choose from; their forum is here so you'll get lots of support if you have an issue; IMAP/POP, file storage for your files or small web page, notepad, spam filtering, stylesheets to change the look of the web interface, and more.

Their free account offers this:

10 MB storage space
40 MB bw/month
IMAP/Web access
45 day no activity period
Taglines on emails

But may I suggest their $14.95 member account? $14.95 for life - you only pay one time, and you get this:

16 MB storage space
80 MB bw/month
IMAP/Web access
SMTP for sending email
Mail forwarding
Virus checker

As for what pop/imap/smtp are:

POP will allow you to download all the messages in your inbox to your desktop client (Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.)

IMAP will allow your mailbox to be synchronized all over. So if you like to use the web and two clients (home and work, say) to read your mail, they will all be synchronized. Meaning if you get a message at work, you'll be able to see it at home too. (not so with POP - if you download your message at work, then it will be on your work machine and you won't be able to access that message when you go home).

SMTP: offers the capability to send a message from your client (Outlook, Thunderbird) THROUGH the Fastmail (or chosen service's) server, rather than say, your ISPs server. This serves to offer you to send from you@fastmail.fm, rather than you@yourisp.com.

Hope that helps. There are plenty of other providers here so if that doesn't fit your needs we can help you find something else.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Fahd
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fadmail.com
I would suggest you signup for a few and then stick with the one(s) you like best. Can't hurt since you're looking for free providers. And even paid ones usually offer some sort of trial or money back guarantee.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 10:12 AM   #4
war17
The "e" in e-mail

webecedarian,

Since you did not specify paid or free, there are lots of possibilities.

The EMD forum supports 3 fine services, Fastmail, Runbox,
and Bluebottle. Fastmail has free and paid services. Runbox has 30 day trial. Bluebottle is free.

Also, check Fusemail and Mailsnare. Fusemail has free and paid services. Mailsare has a trial period.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 10:30 AM   #5
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Re: Free provider suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by webecedarian

Not require that you have a previous email address
Have some support (I only ask one or two questions a year, but I do want answers)

I believe that signing up for the Fastmail Guest-level account requires an alternate email address; but that account would very much meet your requirements, and the web interface is clean and uncluttered as well. You might also check out vfemail.net .
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Fahd
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fadmail.com
Quote:
Originally posted by war17
...Since you did not specify paid or free, there are lots of possibilities....
The title of the thread is "Free provider suggestions?".
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 12:44 PM   #7
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, I just realize that. I looked at mns2bseen's requirements instead of the title.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 03:39 PM   #8
coolguy

Try Rediffmail from www.rediff.com. It's good.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Javier
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by coolguy
Try Rediffmail from www.rediff.com. It's good.
Rediffmail is a good service, but the level of spam received in my account (never used, just for backup purposes) was very high (mostly from Rediffmail).
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 11:12 PM   #10
coolguy

Quote:
Originally posted by Javier
Rediffmail is a good service, but the level of spam received in my account (never used, just for backup purposes) was very high (mostly from Rediffmail).
In the preferences section of Rediffmail you can choose which offers to receive. You can choose none too. Then the offers will stop.

I have a rediff address for the last 4 years and I have never received unsolicited mail.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2005, 03:08 AM   #11
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thank you for the ideas

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was particularly interested in the VFEmail, rmns2bseen, a perfect example of the sort of previously-unknown-to-me place I was hoping to hear of. And thanks, Gankaku, for all the information! It looks like I'm leaning toward Fastmail, and appreciate your "lifetime" idea. Rediff, alas, is too cluttered for me.
Old 7 May 2005, 03:56 AM   #12
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the forum, webecedarian! I myself am extremely fond of Fastmail as well, they are my favourite email provider. If you get the free account and fall totally in love with all of Fastmail's wonderful features, the Member account is only a one-time fee of $14.95 U.S. -- forever!! Even if you always choose to remain at the Guest account level, I concur with Gankaku that Fastmail would definetly fit all of your requirements.

Any questions that you have regarding Fastmail (or, indeed any of your email's) just post them here and you will always receive accurate and helpful advice!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2005, 04:02 AM   #13
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

I'd also recommend Eumx.net . It's only been around a few months, but for me it's an ideal account.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2005, 04:56 AM   #14
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Shutmail is good, also Lionramoant is good and there are several other good services around including Burntmaoil although premium it is recommended.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2005, 01:03 AM   #15
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Smile More - thanks!

Thanks, Susan. I have to respect the opinion of anyone who is intergalactic.

SAS and jdtaylor, maybe this is being prissy, but both Eumx.net and Shutmmail have typos, and don't show their physical addresses. I'm looking for a place to move my primary e-mail, so I want some place efficient and professional ... and I'm wary of sites that can't spell or don't proofread.

Burntmail doesn't appear to be free, though. And I can't find Lionramoant.