EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 7 Jun 2021, 08:30 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Domain Registrars

What's your registrar of choice for your personal/own domains?

And why - is the lowest price your bottom line, or is there an additional service that your registrar provides?

The majority of my domains are with Gandi - they're not the cheapest but they do offer free (2 x 3GB) mailboxes.

Also using NameSilo and Porkbun - they're among the cheapest, and I've used them both numerous times over the years.

I used to have a lot of my domains registered with Namecheap, but that gradually fell out of favor. But recently they have had a special offer when registering new domains - for example, 2 years on a .xyz domain for $8.13!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jun 2021, 08:39 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I currently use Porkbun. They are among the cheapest, have an easy to use domain management portal, provide excellent help documentation and videos, and have fast and efficient customer service. In the past I used Namesilo and Namecheap and they were both OK, but Porkbun beats them in terms of ease of use and usually price too. By the way, I tried an xyz domain once and found my emails were going into people's spam folders no matter what I did. For some reason xyz domains are a haven for spammers and it is hard to overcome that red flag apparently.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Domaindiscount24
I can't remember why I chose this. Never had any problems with it.

BTW: Does anyone have experience with Google Domains?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:11 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I've used Google Domains in the past. I suspect they are very secure and reliable, but I found the interface confusing and clunky, the price was transparent but higher, and I couldn't see any gain over Porkbun. Google Domains would have very reliable nameservers. Probably ideal for business use since it is very easy to hook up to a Google Workspace account. However, for my business I found one failure point--no way to pay via anything but a credit card, and we don't have corporate credit cards that can be used for such purposes.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2021, 02:31 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Does anyone have experience with Google Domains?
I transferred a couple of domains over to Google Domains in 2018, basically only to test the Google offering.

I don't recall anything particularly outstanding with them, and I transferred both domains out the following year.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote