EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Dec 2020, 05:15 AM   #1
festus77

Angry Fastmail energy usage on website using Safari

Hi all - for about the last 2 months I've been getting "This webpage was reloaded because it was using significant energy" about 3 or 4 times a day. This has happened on a 2013 Macbook Pro and now is happening on a brand new M1 Macbook with 16 GB memory. This is the only site that ever gives this message. I've cleared cache and history numerous times. Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
festus
festus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Dec 2020, 06:48 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Which browsers are you using?

You might need to ask each one's support people how to diagnose the problem, which is probably caused by a script that runs a lot, thus making the cpu busy.

If you use extensions in those browser(s) try with them all disabled.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2020, 06:15 AM   #3
festus77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Which browsers are you using?

You might need to ask each one's support people how to diagnose the problem, which is probably caused by a script that runs a lot, thus making the cpu busy.

If you use extensions in those browser(s) try with them all disabled.
Using Safari - Like I said, fastmail.com is the ONLY website that EVER gets dinged for consuming too much energy - that's why I asked in the Fastmail forums. I don't know what script, etc Fastmail is running in the background.
festus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2020, 07:44 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I typically use Chrome on my Macs at work and do not receive any energy warnings. Actually, I've never seen that warning with any site using any browser on any platform.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2020, 02:41 PM   #5
yositimy

Yeah chrome leaves a lot to be desired, but it does have great memory leaks, performance, and privacy features... I wouldn't put it on anything I own. Chrome resource hogs kill my little Windose PCs, seems like you need 16GB RAM to get more than an hour before a crash.... but off topic.

Some web APIs are inefficient, but I only run across a warning on some video intensive sites. Its gotta get pretty bad if safari reloads, I've never seen that. Are you on battery when it does that? Linkedin and news sites can be offenders. Webpages that have gaming content are often big offenders. Websites that have large and active comment sections can also use up system resources pretty quickly.

I dunno what in fastmail's web interface is being inefficient, I don't see the same warnings on my new MBA or older MBP, so maybe something is awry with your third party extensions. I've read that there is an issue in open GL that doesn't help.

You probably know you can use safe mode or create a second admin account to troubleshoot/verify that.

Now Chrome and, to a lesser extent, Firefox will be using significant resources, but your first warning of that is the 10% battery left notification.

Last edited by yositimy : 7 Dec 2020 at 02:59 PM.
yositimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2020, 01:02 AM   #6
tsphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus77 View Post
Hi all - for about the last 2 months I've been getting "This webpage was reloaded because it was using significant energy" about 3 or 4 times a day. This has happened on a 2013 Macbook Pro and now is happening on a brand new M1 Macbook with 16 GB memory. This is the only site that ever gives this message. I've cleared cache and history numerous times. Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
festus
FWIW, I saw the same message, probably over the same timescale, probably only on Fastmail (not any other site) - on a 2011 iMac with Mac OS 10.13.6 and Safari version 13.1.2. For unrelated reasons, I stopped using Safari and started using Firefox instead - and I no longer see that message.
tsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2020, 04:30 PM   #7
EricG
Essential Contributor

On Windows, Edge is much leaner than Firefox. Chrome should be same as Edge. I have 4GB RAM.
Firefox used far less memory when it was single process years ago, but it was also slower.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2020, 07:07 PM   #8
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Firefox used far less memory when it was single process years ago, but it was also slower.
Presumably the way that Firefox has now become multiple processes provides significant security benefits, with rogue code executing in one tab much less likely to crash another one. It also helps to use up all those extra cores some people have...
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2020, 05:25 AM   #9
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus77 View Post
Using Safari - Like I said, fastmail.com is the ONLY website that EVER gets dinged for consuming too much energy - that's why I asked in the Fastmail forums. I don't know what script, etc Fastmail is running in the background.
What may cause this battery warning is that Fastmail installs a service worker which runs in the background that prevents the page from ever fully suspending -- usually, in current browsers, when a tab is not in focus and the content is not dynamic in relevant ways, the browser just suspends the execution of the entire web site context -- stops animations, stops background tasks, and so on.

Naturally, Fastmail needs to have components remain active in order to be able to poll the server if there's new messages -- it'll highlight the tab when new messages are there, or show notifications if you tell it to.

In any case, I wouldn't give 2cts on the Safari claim in the sense that it even causes a measurable difference in resource usage. Do you actually see increased CPU usage, or can you observe the CPU never entering it's lowest possible power states? If it's any indication, FM is one of the most responsive web apps I know and I never see any increased CPU or suchlike because of it, and I have it open all the time, in a pinned tab...
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote