EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 Sep 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

New Top Level Domains

I caught an ad on TV today by 1&1, and then googled to find this link:

https://www.1and1.co.uk/new-top-level-domains

I've placed a "pre-order" for a .mail domain - not costing me anything until the domain extension launch date -whenever that is . . .

Only drawback IMHO with 1&1, is due to previous experience, I have avoided them like the plague!

Anyone here likely to express any serious interest in these new domains?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:10 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Anyone here likely to express any serious interest in these new domains?
Though I am not interested myself, I have a couple of friends who will likely purchase a .art domain.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Does 1&1 require that they be anything more than the registrar?

As long as you can point your DNS hosting to your preferred DNS servers, and can host your other services elsewhere too, you should be OK.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

I have read in the past (quite a long time ago now) that should you choose to leave 1 & 1 hosting, that the cancellation of the account is quite complex, and requires a snail mail letter (requesting such cancellation) to be sent and approved (by them) before the transfer can occur. Quite a few folk have been sent to 'collections' because of this, I believe. A search here (on these forums) may deliver more info on this. As for myself, I wouldn't touch 1 & 1 with a barge pole.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 02:26 PM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Offering to "pre-order" one of the proposed new TLD's is not unique to 1&1 -- for example Name.com will "watch" your desired domain name and snap it up for you as soon as it is approved by ICANN.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:06 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Offering to "pre-order" one of the proposed new TLD's is not unique to 1&1 -- for example Name.com will "watch" your desired domain name and snap it up for you as soon as it is approved by ICANN.
Yes, I saw that - but you have to register there to pre-order.

At 1&1 I only had to give an e-mail address - in this case my junk hotmail one.

Also of interest will be the price they put on these new domains - too dear, and I'll not bother pursuing.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I write poetry so for my poetry site, an .art domain would be very good. But I guess that this may come with restrictions such as being a registered artist (as in; registered as professional artist with a label or publisher conforming your activities)? I cannot find any info on this .art TLD by the way ...

I see .post has been proposed too, but only for postal services (no emails). .music apparently has been proposed, should also work out well. I think .sports should be a potential hit too.

However, check this.

Donuts.co, a quite wealthy enterprise, have already made applications for 307 new extentions. And they are just the top of the iceberg.

We already have so many rarely used extentions, is it really going to help to litter the internet with so many suffixes that it will become impossible to see the forest from the trees?

Imagine I want to reach the website of football (soccer) club PSG, based in Paris. Now they use psg.fr, easy.
However, they could in the future maybe swap to psg.paris or psg.sports ...

Imagine I want to visit the website of Orphaned Land, one of my favourite bands, and from Israel.
Now they use orphaned-land.com after having previously used orphaned-land.co.il .
Easy.
But they could just as well switch back suddenly to orphaned-land.co.il, or move to orphaned-land.music or orphaned-land.mu or orphaned-land.art ... and should the Hebrew suffix for Israel be approved they could also switch to אורפנד-לנד.ע׳שׂראל

Imagine I wanna visit the site of the US Postal. Do I have to go to uspostal.com, uspostal.us, uspostal.post, ... ??? Or maybe they'll opt to ask for their own .uspostal suffix?

The internet is complex enough as it is with many rarely used suffixes, countless URL shorteners that are sometimes confused as real TLD's ... Why add a whole lot of new suffixes and make things pointlessly complex?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

More new potential TLDs. This company submitted 92 requests although some are not that bad.The full list is in the article (full list only of the 92 this company requested)

.app
.art
.blog
.book
.free
.gaÿ (without the accent)
.green
.guide
.hotel
.immo
.inc
.law
.love (would be good for dating sites if they forbid adult content on this TLD)
.restaurant
.science
.site
.store (but why not .shop ?)

However... .flowers, .vodka, .zulu, .rodeo, .pizza, .horse, .dog, ... ?!!

Some more proposals by yet another company...

.bet
.chat
.date
.faith
.forum
.news
.shop
.sport
.win

the others are pretty pointless or have already been requested by another entity.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
However... .flowers, .vodka, .zulu, .rodeo, .pizza, .horse, .dog, ... ?!!
Finally, there will be a way to tell whether somebody on the internet is a dog! Just check if their email address ends with .dog. I mean, all those lolcats that litter the web have their own .cat domains already (from Catalan), so it's only fair to create .dog and .horse as well. I demand a .fish for my aquarium as well!
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:12 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
Finally, there will be a way to tell whether somebody on the internet is a dog! Just check if their email address ends with .dog. I mean, all those lolcats that litter the web have their own .cat domains already (from Catalan), so it's only fair to create .dog and .horse as well. I demand a .fish for my aquarium as well!
I also want to request .cow and .sheep and .bird

Also, registrations should be made available directly under the new suffix or as a third level domain under these options:
.chihuahua.dog
.boxer.dog
.shephard.dog
.terrier.dog
.collie.dog
.husky.dog
.shar-pei.dog
.dobermann.dog
.bulldog.dog
.schnautzer.dog
.bobtail.dog

Also, if they'd accept a .pizza TLD I want to demand .tandoori, .beef, .falafel, .paella, .sushi, .hummus, .vegetable, .potato, .soy, .steak, .tofu, .shoarma, ...
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:16 AM   #11
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Where will it end? Are we going to see .beatles, .stones, .yes (well, there's already .no), .metallica, .rush etcetera?
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:18 AM   #12
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
Where will it end? Are we going to see .beatles, .stones, .yes (well, there's already .no), .metallica, .rush etcetera?
This could be very realistic, in all seriousness, since bands that big are usually registered as a Ltd company in order to pay all crew involved with the band. For example the band The Eagles own a trademark Eagles Ltd. And since ICANN wanted companies to allow to request their own TLD: as soon as a band is big enough to become a company, they could request the TLD.

Dito with professional sports clubs who are registered as a company rather than as a non-profit. If the name of the club is trademarked, they could request the TLD.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:21 AM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Well, they are just names, aren't they? If a person's first name can be Paris, why .paris should be disallowed?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:30 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

But where do you draw the line which city can get a TLD and which one doesn't? It would hardly make sense, and would make totally no sense in case of very tiny settlements who can just do fine with gTLDs and with their own country's ccTLD.

I mean, where is the line being drawn? In Belgium we consider Brussels a big city: agglomeration of almost 2000000 people, so we want a .bxl or .brussels domain (even my native city Ghent, with just 200000 people, applied for .gent).
In countries like France, UK, USA, China, Russia, Turkey, Australia, Egypt, Brazil, ... they'd mock at us since the likes of Paris, London, New York, LA, Bejing, Istanbul, Cairo, Rio de Janeiro, etc all have so many more citizens that it makes Brussels look tiny.

Does anyone know (little teaser) Tiksi, in the extreme north of Russia? So remote it could be a country of its own, even though less than 2000 or 3000 folks live there. But given their geographical self-reliance and distance to the crowded cities, should we allow them a .tiksi TLD?
Stornoway (Scotland) doesn't have 10000 people living there but because they're on a remote off coast island it is considered the unofficial "capital" of the Hebrides archipelago.
Shall we create a .stornoway TLD?

I think ccTLDs are good enough as it is. If a city insists on its own domain, why not allow registrations under (for example)
.brussels.be
.amsterdam.nl
.berlin.de
.paris.fr
.newyork.us
.bejing.cn
.moskva.ru
.cairo.eg
.seoul.kr
.rio.br
.istanbul.tr
.sydney.au
etc etc

Would be complex too, but at least ICANN restricts countries to a simple nationwide ccTLD. Up to those registries if they think every city needs a further specific suffix (as it already is the case in Poland and in some regions of China)
Old 4 Oct 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
synodbio

Thanks, You just made my day a little easier.This post is really lucrative for every information seeker.
synodbio is offline   Reply With Quote