EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Dec 2010, 02:52 AM   #16
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post
It worked! Thanx a bunch to both of you! At first I just couldn't understand how to insert this code and then I just pasted this in the text document, uploaded it and renamed it. Great!
^^^^^^^^^^^^_^^^^^^^^^
GLAD I could HELP ^_^

Still.............. I'M still using the old UI ^_^
Love at first sight
Professional Blue 2004 ^_^
this is the only one I love
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2010, 03:40 AM   #17
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
Still.............. I'M still using the old UI ^_^
Love at first sight
Professional Blue 2004 ^_^
this is the only one I love
Can you say if it's the colors you like or the layout of the screen in the old UI.
Colors are easy to tweak and some of the layout can be changed using a tweaks.js (JavaScript) file.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2010, 05:00 AM   #18
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Can you say if it's the colors you like or the layout of the screen in the old UI.
Colors are easy to tweak and some of the layout can be changed using a tweaks.js (JavaScript) file.

Sherry
Both are important
the old UI and the css-Professional blue 2004*
Old 7 Dec 2010, 11:27 AM   #19
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
I would say the COLORS Sherry..

However everything about the original interface is better
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2010, 11:35 AM   #20
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
I would say the COLORS Sherry..

However everything about the original interface is better
INDEED ITS what made FastMail so GRAND and Legendary! ^_^
Old 7 Dec 2010, 04:33 PM   #21
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimess View Post
First, I do not recall ever seeing anything about a new interface coming up and would like to know where this feedback was happening. I do not have time to spend at the forums or at blogs. That's why I get email updates - I even have it set on chatty. But I never saw a thing until August, after it was already a done deal. So if I wasn't hanging out at the blogs, I don't get to have feedback before it's a done deal, even though I'm PAYING for this?
I find new features/issues notification a major issue with Fastmail as well: if you don't read the forums you're missing out on a lot.
The 'chatty' setting seems like a fine solution, but it's not used as it should (I've remarked on this again and again and again, and hadaso as well).

I really don't get why they don't implement a simple script that posts blog updates to the blog, emails it to all users on chatty, and puts it on twitter (which I don't use, and have no plans to) as well...

Last edited by rabarberski : 7 Dec 2010 at 09:29 PM.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2010, 04:42 PM   #22
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
The 'chatty' setting seems like a fine solution, but it's not used as it should
Absolutely agree.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2010, 02:30 AM   #23
Sherry

Actually there may be a reason why the "chatty" setting isn't used. A very long time ago (years} when I noticed any responses from FM where chatty was being discussed, like now, FM was avoiding that part of the discussions. That was strange for them back then as they did respond to all the other parts of the discussion. I decided to open a test Guest account then went to Options/Account Preferences and looked at the setting for "Communication level" and it was set to "Chatty" so it looks like Chatty was set as the default for all new accounts (probably by mistake?). I posted about that some time ago so FM may have changed it but if they haven't then I can see why it can't be used.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2010, 01:55 PM   #24
d4rkn1ght

I have to agree with Joe. The new UI it's not that bad, but I find myself coming back to the old UI (Professional Blue) every time I try to change. It's just simple and it works! The old UI is one of the things I really like about FM.
d4rkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2010, 05:16 PM   #25
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Actually there may be a reason why the "chatty" setting isn't used.
it looks like Chatty was set as the default for all new accounts (probably by mistake?). I posted about that some time ago so FM may have changed it but if they haven't then I can see why it can't be used.
@sherry: it should be very easy for Fastmail to reset/rename the setting for all existing customers to whathever else they want it to be (and perhaps send out an email to notify if this) and reuse the term chatty more in correspondence with what it implies. So, I can't imagine this be the reason.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2010, 08:48 AM   #26
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkn1ght View Post
I have to agree with Joe. The new UI it's not that bad, but I find myself coming back to the old UI (Professional Blue) every time I try to change. It's just simple and it works! The old UI is one of the things I really like about FM.
Its the UI and css skin that made FastMail LEGENDARY FOR ALL TIME
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:52 PM   #27
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

They spoiled something which was really special and most of the old users were very happy with what we had, for us here it has lost that l feeing of having something special and different.....now it feels and looks like another gmail with a few extra's thrown in.

Lets hope one day Opera change the UI.

Last edited by Terry : 11 Dec 2010 at 07:21 AM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2010, 09:23 PM   #28
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Lets hope one day Opera change the UI.
You can pretty much guarantee that Opera will change the UI at some point in the future, but don't count on it reverting back to the old UI. Progress is inevitable, and not everybody's going to be comfortable/happy with it.

Not everybody was happy with the old interface, and not everybody's happy with the new interface. The key difference is that the new interface (which many of us asked for, BTW) is significantly more customizable than the old. We asked for more customization features because other than some color changes, many of those old styles looked and worked pretty much the same.

Take a look at the wiki and see what's possible with the new interface. You might find some tweak or stylesheet which may work better for you than the current interface. At the very least, it provides exposure to others who may not know that these options are available to them. It may also prompt others to post their own tweaks or stylesheets, providing additional choices for all.

FWIW, I was pretty vocal about some of the initial design choices when the new interface was first made available. Those issues have either been addressed by FM since then, or I've made the necessary modifications myself with the tools provided by the new interface. tweaks.css and tweaks.js were not initially available until I pointed out that I was using Stylish to override the new interface and others became involved in those initial hacking efforts. Once FM became aware of how many people were already customizing the interface, Bron added that functionality so that users could tweaks things directly in the interface.

Last edited by Mystakill : 11 Dec 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added additional note
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2010, 02:14 AM   #29
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

I don't care what you guys say, but I love the "new" interface! Didn't really like the old one in the first place. Sure, it was functional, but not very pretty...
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2010, 02:42 AM   #30
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
I don't care what you guys say, but I love the "new" interface! Didn't really like the old one in the first place. Sure, it was functional, but not very pretty...
Its FAST MAIL, it was its own unique, simple, very fast,
and uncluttered User Interface.. ^_^