EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:46 PM   #1
B4its2L8
Master of the @

MyOpera.com Mail

I'm just curious whether anyone here is trying the new myopera.com webmail (beta) and, if so, how you like it. (It's still very limited, being in its early stages, but it looks very promising to me.)

(Yes, I realize there's a beta forum over at Opera for feedback, etc. I just thought I'd ask here in case there are any beta testers among EMD members who may not frequent the actual Opera forums.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Apr 2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Didn't know they are already beta testing. How can I participate?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:05 PM   #3
B4its2L8
Master of the @

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. Since I already had an Opera account (for use on the message boards) I was able to sign up with beta-testers by going to a link found in this thread. But I was only able to do that with one of my two existing Opera accounts. With my second account, for some reason I am able to access the new beta webmail but can't access the beta-testers forum to review/offer feedback.

IOW, I think anyone can sign up for the webmail beta via the link in my first post as long as they already have an Opera account. If not, the link will allow you to create one. It's only the access to the beta forum (for my other Opera account) that eludes me at the moment.

To be on the safe side, perhaps PM Johan Borg. Or maybe he can post here to clarify how to get access to both the beta webmail and the beta-testers forum.

To reiterate: there is limited functionality available at this point (like not being able to create personal folders, no HTML composition (yet), etc.). But what is available is interesting (including Gmail-like conversation threading), colorful (including a nice 'theme') and is very fast -- for me anyway.

Last edited by B4its2L8 : 2 Apr 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I thought Opera was mainly a platform used by different email providers. I may be interested to give them a try too ; Gmail was in beta for a long time but was very good even in those early stages. I'd be interested for sure in the Opera service.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Sherry

Hmm, I thought those using the Opera email part of Opera have all been moved to FastMail (or are still being moved)???

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Hi, Sherry

See comments here by Johan Borg, esp. posts 3-5. (I was confused, too, as you can see by those comments.)
Old 3 Apr 2011, 07:38 AM   #7
Sherry

I found two links that gave me the idea the Opera email users are not just using the FastMail servers now but also the FastMail features.

FastMail Blog

EMD discussion on the change

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2011, 04:57 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

So basically Opera, except the domain, is now de facto a FastMail account? However, if they still somehow approach them as different entities, does this mean one can have a free FastMail.fm account + a free Opera account? I seem to remember you are entitled to only one free FastMail account ; however if they'd consider Opera a different entity somehow, then I guess this is a way to in practise have 2 Fastmail accounts without violating the "1 free account only per person" rule of FastMail?
Old 5 Apr 2011, 07:35 AM   #9
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Exclamation Operamail

Obviously Fastmail acquired the Operamail.com domain and has deleted old pre-existing accounts hosted on the now defunct Outblaze email platform. My decade old account is gone and the user name not recognized by the system. So much for that. Also since my user name is less than 7 characters long, it is gone unless I pay and I'm not going to pay for it.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2011, 02:56 PM   #10
photog

In case you were not aware of it Opera acquired Fastmail a couple of months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
Obviously Fastmail acquired the Operamail.com domain and has deleted old pre-existing accounts hosted on the now defunct Outblaze email platform. My decade old account is gone and the user name not recognized by the system. So much for that. Also since my user name is less than 7 characters long, it is gone unless I pay and I'm not going to pay for it.
photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2011, 10:29 PM   #11
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I have had an Operamail dot com for years but seldom use it. Went to my FM acct login page and logged in with my Opera user name and was able to log in. My Opera was a free acct and in checking, I have a guest acct with FM with Options same as FM
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2011, 06:14 AM   #12
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
To clear up confusion:

1. Opera own FastMail.FM.
2. operamail.com is a (very) old webmail service Opera used to provide (actually it was outsourced to IBM). This is now closed, and all users transferred to standard FastMail accounts (with the same email address - the domain has just been transferred to FastMail).
3. My Opera Mail is a new service, currently in private beta, soon to be in public beta, which is being made by the FastMail team.
4. For extra confusion, Opera Mail is an email client built into the Opera desktop web browser...

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2011, 06:30 AM   #13
drew
The "e" in e-mail

B4its2L8 I finally think I get what JoanBorg says in that text but I am not 100 hundred sure.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...08&postcount=5

Operamail the fastmail version? seems to have 60 days inactivity. They wrote this to me recently saying this. Is it still 45 for Fastmail guests? How much space does us Guests have on both?

Quote:
To keep your account active, you must log in at least once every 60 days.

I looged in using the [operausername] at operamail.com on the fastmail domain. I also could login using that email addy at the www.operamail.com domain and it does look the same as the Fastmail layout.

Last edited by drew : 6 Apr 2011 at 07:01 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2011, 02:28 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Does Fastmail allow more than one account per person?

In case the answer would be "no", do they consider MyOperaMail a separate service (even when it's owned by the same people) or would they count an account with MyOperaMail as a Fastmail account and thus deem it not allowed to have both a Fastmail and a MyOperaMail account?
Old 7 Apr 2011, 03:10 AM   #15
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Tsunami,
I trust they had no choice. Opera bought Fastmail. Operamail already had us as users there and to say we can not keep our usernames there would look too stingy or too stale rigid rule following thing.

But I guess taht one still can not apply for another fastmail guest account.

If one had both a Fastmail and an Operamail then so be it but a new user may not have two but that is only my wild guess.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote