EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Setting up/running an email service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Setting up/running an email service If you're setting up an email service from scratch, or running one, exchange ideas and tips with other Webmasters here...

Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:15 AM   #1
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
Mail Satellite - Outlook-look-alike!

We are developing a free web based email reader scheduled for release in Dec 2008. It looks like Microsoft Outlook.

Take a Tour of the Demo at:

Mail Satellite - POP3 & IMAP Mail Reader www.mailsatellite.com

Note: This software has been renamed E-Mail Reader and moved to www.e-mailreader.com (Oct 2, 2008)

Visitors are testing the demo simultaneously (same time) and the system is able to keep up with the traffic. However, you may see some unexpected changes as other visitors may operate a different feature in the demo as you do and also some features are still being added.

We welcome contributions and feedbacks from the public. We are particularly interested in exchange of technical ideas, translations and reviews from interested parties.

I'm a member of the development team so feel free to drop me a private message

Note: Mail Satellite is developed by a Swedish IT firm (Scienceicon) and a software/hosting/email service provider.

This is not an advertisement as it falls within the forum category 'Setting up/running an email service' guidelines.

Last edited by MST : 2 Oct 2008 at 05:45 PM.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:34 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forums MST. I quick scan of your 'demo site' did not reveal any (obvious) way to create a POP or IMAP reader. Perhaps I missed it.

Is the plan to offer a full featured email account in future?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to the site!

I like the design you have going on your site

Good luck with this project!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
Thanks, a quick glance wouldn't be enough to grasp the working of the system.

Pls. take a re-tour of the site at your convenience. There is a section (Servers/Channel) for connecting to mail servers (POP3/IMAP) like Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, Hotmail etc. Disabled in the demo version as work is still in progress.

Mail Satellite is basically a free all-in-one Mail Reader and we want to maintain that concept. We do not plan to introduce a full featured email account in future due to infrastructural requirements, though we will welcome partnership on such a project.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by MST : 12 Sep 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 03:18 AM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
This is not an advertisement as it falls within the forum category 'Setting up/running an email service' guidelines.
[Moderator:]

MST, would you please send a PM to Edwin to see if you should be given Service Representative status.

Also you might want to familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules such as C) No advertising, and no private message spam. No affiliate links.

Please feel free to respond to questions and discussions about your service as we enjoy service representatives participation. Thank you.

Welcome to the EMD Forums
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2008, 06:45 AM   #6
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
Cheers Sherry, I've contacted Edwin as suggested.

I'm looking forward to participating and contributing to the forum discussions as a Service Representative.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 07:00 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

I like your site MST (it reminds me a little of Oddpost) but I am at a loss as to why anyone would want an email reader (without anything else) You can forward mail to other accounts (yes) but many of those accounts (even the free ones) duplicate the services you provide.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 08:08 AM   #8
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
David, I'm not so sure you had enough time to try the demo. A lot of people don't want to do so for common reasons. Let me explain...

As you are aware, software developers are constantly scratching their head trying to come up with a different new way of doing things on the web.

There are users and creators. Both see things in a different perspective. A user may be satisfied with what is available today. A creator sees everything today as outdated and wants to come up with a new idea.

Lots of innovations today are coming from small IT firms and individuals yet their work is not recognized. Die-hard users don't always welcome new ideas especially from unknown brands. However, the big firms do recognize good talents and waste no time in acquiring valuable innovations. We've seen the speed of acquisitions recently with new creativities like FaceBook, Marratech, YouTube etc.

AOL recently released an email software with similar features and claim to be the first to introduce such features and yet many individuals and small firms have or are in the process of releasing such software.

See http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ness#community

In a nut shell, the web technology is still in its infancy and constantly changing. Users must stop focusing solely on what they are using today or making comparisons b/w unknown and big/small brands. They must try to sample every new web technology that is available irrespective of the developer's status.

Oddpost or other email providers may serve you better today, but there are hundreds of new software releases by unknown brands that are impressively doing the job better and differently. I can point you to many if the moderators will permit it.

I reckon AOL current release proves my point and point you to sample theirs and re-visit Mail Satellite and see what is new.

There is a lot going on behind the scene in the web technology world that users are simply not aware of.

Google Chrome has woken up everyone including Microsoft to such a new reality and my advise to users is be on the look out for upcoming innovations...especially from unknown developers as they are setting the pace in the web technology.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 10:33 AM   #9
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Oddpost or other email providers may serve you better today, but there are hundreds of new software releases by unknown brands that are impressively doing the job better and differently. I can point you to many if the moderators will permit it.
Welcome to the forum, MST!
This forum thrives on contributors who bring about new information, ideas and services information. We encourage members to do exactly that.
The point made by Sherry had to do with advertising one's own services (by bluntly promoting it and placing links). It's OK to make an announcement in you first posting about en email related service and it's always OK to mention other's services in course of a discussion (when it's appropriate and not deemed to be an advertisement).
Our goal is to have an informative, friendly and helpful forum, free of profanities and advertising, that is also family friendly.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:04 PM   #10
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
OK moderators, I've vividly explained that my presence here is not to advertise a product but to exchange and share ideas.

With the feedback from the few members, you will agree that the subject I've raised is of great importance to the public and your readers. It's good for your readers to see different perspectives.

I've tried countless times to make contributions in other forums and I'm put off by the endless accusation of advertising my product.

Over emphasizing on the ads issue by many forum moderators has a negative impact on the minds of many Service Representative who may want to make contributions in forums relating to a new idea, innovation and creation.

Be rest assured, I'll keep to the forum rules.

Last edited by MST : 14 Sep 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:11 PM   #11
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
That is interesting. I am waiting for the day I can use it on my pop email.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:14 PM   #12
bramhall
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I've tried countless times to make contributions in other forums and I'm put off by the endless accusation of advertising my product.
May be 'countless' is the reason ?
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:37 PM   #13
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
I've thought hard into David's question above and I can now figure out exactly what he is missing on this subject.

I think the confusion is about the definition 'Mail Reader'

Of course, email service providers like Gmail, Yahoo, AOL all have email readers. With their email readers, users are able to access only emails residing on their servers. Their mail readers do not access or aggregate emails residing on third party email servers.

With the new 'Mail Reader' or call it Mail Aggregators, users are able to access multiple email servers via POP3 & IMAP protocols in one interface without having to login through several browsers. So while chating or playing games, your emails are loading every second and you get a visual and voice notification when a new email arrives.

Email Readers or email aggregators also have far more features than the traditional email readers such as email aggregation from multiple servers, access to popular Social Network sites, RSS Feed Aggregators/Writers, Shopping sites, dating, games, file storage, video, chat, voip, address book, calendar, visual/voice reminders etc all under one interface or window.

Microsoft Outlook is the oldest email reader that is closer to this. AOL has announced that it is the first to do it but that is false. Just like Mail Satellite, there are many software developers working on a project in this direction or completed it since the past 1 year and there are verifiable demos to prove it.

Advantages:
It is rather convenient, saves cost and time to access multiple emails via a single interface. Maintenance cost is kept low for email service providers. Costs could be the reason for the demise of many free email providers and the reason many current free email providers (such as Gmail, Yahoo AOL etc) are currently supporting POP3 & IMAP access and encouraging their users to use Mail Readers. Few years back they did not support POP3 & IMAP access via third party Mail Readers. They Ain't Stupid now...

This is the reason for the rise and birth of new 'Mail Readers' or 'Mail Aggregators'. Avoid 'Mail Readers' and you'll be stuck with outdated web technology.

Just like Google is warning users not to be stuck with outdated browsers...Some users still refuse to use RSS Feed Aggregators to keep up with latest news and prefer loading thousands of news sites on their browsers. Some web site owners still prefer to hire web designers instead of installing a self content management software. Many educational institutions are missing out on e-learning. Making calls via the internet saves on phone bills yet many users refuse to try it out. The list goes on...Funny world!

I hope this information helps?

Last edited by MST : 14 Sep 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 11:34 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
I've thought hard into David's question above and I can now figure out exactly what he is missing on this subject.
I think the confusion is about the definition 'Mail Reader'
I think the definition of 'mail reader' is pretty accurate MST. I have not been able to find any info on your site indicating that your client does much of anything else (I cannot even find a calendar or place to write notes) - many email providers have these.
Quote:
Of course, email service providers like Gmail, Yahoo, AOL all have email readers. With their email reader, users are able to access only emails residing on their servers. They do not allow access to third party email servers.
This is not true; all the services you mentioned above allow you to access third party mail servers (pretty well everyone has a mail fetcher these days)
Quote:
Email Readers or email aggregators also have far more features than the traditional email readers such as email aggregation from multiple servers, access to popular Social Network sites, Shopping sites, games, file storage, video, chats, voip, address book, calendar, visual/voice reminders etc all under one interface or window.
Most of the things you mentioned I failed to find on your site MST
Quote:
Microsoft Outlook is the only email reader that is closer to this. AOL has announced that it is the first to do it but that is false. Just like Mail Satellite, there are many software developers working on a project in this direction or completed it since the past 1 year and there are verifiable demos to prove it.

Advantages:
It is rather convenient, saves cost and time to access multiple emails via a single interface. Maintenance cost is kept low for email service providers. Costs could be the reason for the demise of many free email providers and the reason many current free email providers (such as Gmail, Yahoo AOL etc) are currently supporting POP3 & IMAP access and encouraging their users to use Mail Readers.

I hope this information helps?
MST: While not wanting to be rude, it seems to me that your client is featureless (it cannot even do email properly) You talk a lot about 'innovation' but failed to even recognise a truly innovative company (when I mentioned them earlier) 'oddpost.com' - who were bought out by Yahoo, a few years ago now.

Last edited by David : 14 Sep 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 11:52 PM   #15
MST

Representative of:
e-mailreader.com
David, I'm glad you've reviewed the demo and thanks for the feedback.

That is what it is...a demo. It is not a finished product. And, I have clearly indicated above that many of the features are currently being added. It takes roughly 7 months or more to develop a software of this type. Just like Mail Satellite, AOL is far from ready with all the features, feel free to follow up on other developers that are working on similar projects like AOL.

We have a unique style of showing the public what we are developing to follow on their questions, reviews, feedbacks, suggestions and contributions. This is made possible because it is a web based software so the public can keep a daily tab on the progress online.

If we keep our development secret, by the time it is out, the features are already outdated. We keep the public focused on the development process making sure that it follows latest trends and once released, the product is up to date.

As I said earlier, users are more into comparison, developers do their stuff and focus on the new idea. I'm here to discuss a new trend and exchange of ideas and not to make comparisons with oddpost.com' or others.

I hope that clears the air on your comment.

Last edited by MST : 15 Sep 2008 at 12:51 AM.