EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:32 PM   #46
mechanic

So where is the explanation and apology?
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:34 PM   #47
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

In the FM status blog
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:39 PM   #48
Drencrom
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Compared to 2liamtsaf and alka, I have had a different experience. Some of you may not remember or were not affected -- but there was a very long-lasting Fastmail outage a few years ago that I refer to as the infamous server 4 outage. Many of us were without e-mail service for several days.
Oh boy, I sure as hell remember that one.

At least this one was short.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:40 PM   #49
mechanic

Not much information and no apology there.

Last night the web server, status page and forums were inaccessible as well as the IMAP service. What's the best alternative provider to consider?
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:45 PM   #50
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Not much information and no apology there.
Perhaps they prioritized investigating the issue, or catching up on sleep? FM/Opera is run by humans after all.

Quote:
Last night the web server, status page and forums were inaccessible as well as the IMAP service. What's the best alternative provider to consider?
There are lots of forum posts on that question; the forum search button is your friend. Make sure to consider the other providers' downtimes as well, otherwise you could end up switching email provider every couple of months.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:45 PM   #51
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The forum was online (check earlier postings), it's hosted elsewhere.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 05:56 PM   #52
mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
Perhaps they prioritized investigating the issue, or catching up on sleep? FM/Opera is run by humans after all.
What sort of feeble excuse is that?
Quote:
There are lots of forum posts on that question; the forum search button is your friend. Make sure to consider the other providers' downtimes as well, otherwise you could end up switching email provider every couple of months.
Yes you have a point there - it's just that these outages with no information show us how reliant we are on these services and that alternatives need to be explored.

As as for the forums being available, I couldn't pull up the webpage to link to them and i see they are off the www.fastmail.fm server anyway. This whole system seems quite fragile, if one server looses power or whatever it shouldn't pull the whole house down. We need more reassurance!
Old 1 Oct 2010, 06:08 PM   #53
NJSS
Master of the @

mechanic

I shouldn't panic - many of us have been FastMail users for many years, and have tried other providers always to return to, or stick with, FM.

If 100% uptime is essential to you then there are threads here which will give you guidance.

I am happy with a combination of POBox.Com and FM as my primary providers, as are many others.

POBox filters my mail and forwards it to FM, and as a back-up to Yahoo.

In the past I have tried RunBox, Tuffmail and others, but have had an FM account since their first year of operation.

NJSS
Old 1 Oct 2010, 06:15 PM   #54
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
What sort of feeble excuse is that?
My point was that not even 24 hours have passed, and you might want to give them at least that much of time for a proper response.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:43 PM   #55
scjoyner

Quote:

As as for the forums being available, I couldn't pull up the webpage to link to them and i see they are off the www.fastmail.fm server anyway. This whole system seems quite fragile, if one server looses power or whatever it shouldn't pull the whole house down. We need more reassurance!
FM had a system failure. No dispute there.

As far as reaching forums (and other FM troubleshooting links), I suggest you create several bookmarks. These are independent of the FM's secondary domain.
  1. link to FM forums via http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 -- not via http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/forum/index.html
  2. fmPingCheck
  3. Follow FM via Twitter: http://twitter.com/FastMailFM

Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:45 PM   #56
vivil
Essential Contributor

"fastmail down" 2 the return ? high time access now....
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:47 PM   #57
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
A very strange remark (including your oversized ROFLOL remark) for someone initiating these kind of posts.
I have to say that my brain more and more associates digp with trolling...
I absolutely agreed -- and have for YEARS. (Just didn't want to be the first to mention it.)
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:48 PM   #58
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
What's the best alternative provider to consider?
Running your own server? So when it goes down (because it will) you only have yourself to blame?
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:52 PM   #59
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Running your own server? So when it goes down (because it will) you only have yourself to blame?
+1 = i agree
Old 1 Oct 2010, 10:22 PM   #60
alka
Essential Contributor

Fastmail's status page also stayed up during the outage. It was the first place i went when it wasn't working. The links on the status page to the forums links to the FM domain, not emaildiscussions, so I had to navigate here separately.

http://status.fastmail.fm/
Closed Thread