EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Apr 2022, 01:30 AM   #1
hitoriangasu

Unhappy Font size on sent emails using web/app

I suspect this has come up before, but does anyone else find it impossible to set a professional looking font on sent emails when using the web interface or the app?

I realise that there are various settings, but wouldn't it be better to simply have the option of setting the font at Arial 10 or similar? As, I note, we can do when composing posts on this forum.

I feel like I can't send emails outside of a third-party application as the font size on sent emails - either too small or too large - looks unprofessional.

H
hitoriangasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Apr 2022, 08:43 AM   #2
pjroutledge

Are you using 'Rich Text' or plain text?

'Rich Text' gives you a lot of flexibility re fonts, sizes, formatting, etc.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 05:07 AM   #3
hitoriangasu

Yes, but not for actual font sizes. Medium is too big and small is too small.
hitoriangasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 06:53 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Just to frustrate you more, there is no guarantee (indeed, it is unlikely) that the appearance of the message will look the same to the recipient as it does to you while composing it. If you want full control over every detail of the formatting, simple rich text (HTML) messages are not sufficient. You can only get the desired effect by sending the content as an attachment in a format such as PDF.

The whole concept around rich text is that you indicate the general style you want to use, but the recipient can specify how they want the content to be presented to them. Thus, you can distinguish between small and medium sized text (and the size used will be different between the two) but the recipient will decide what sizes they like (via settings in the browser or email client).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 07:40 AM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The way it seems to work is that "medium" means "whatever the recipient prefers": I see no text size definition when medium is set.
"Large" sets "font-size: 1.266em" which I guess means the recipient's preference + 26.6%. "Huge" is "font-size: 1.602em". "Small" is "font-size: 0.889em".
If I want anything other than what's included in the interface I usually (In Firefox) right click and select "Inspect (Q)". Then I can edit the html directly. It's a bit ugly using the browser's debugging tools to compose email, but the "Edit html" button is long ago gone from the compose screen toolbar (with one of the much older interface).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote