EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Aug 2021, 08:15 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

iCloud+ custom email domains

iCloud+ custom email domains are now available in beta.
https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/25/iclou...w-to-use-them/
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Aug 2021, 12:37 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
thanks. i have made it done.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2021, 04:49 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Reading the comments in that link confirms my opinion of the average Apple customer!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2021, 08:54 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
thanks. i have made it done.
Let us know how well it works! Seems like this has to be a teaser feature--lure a bunch of people into using domain email for free then start charging down the road. Based on the comments I suspect this feature will create lots of customer service issues for Apple. It is definitely not ready for business use since you can only create aliases for your "Family."

Last edited by TenFour : 26 Aug 2021 at 09:34 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2021, 02:23 AM   #5
rscaramelo

I got mine set up. Only 3 alias' and no catch-all kind of stinks. I have tried copying a bunch of old emails to it as well and that isn't going smoothly. This is definitely a beta but honestly not sure this will be a daily driver solution for me even when it's out of beta. It is extremely limited and I am not sure how much they will improve it.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2021, 11:00 PM   #6
rscaramelo

Also I no longer can see my custom domain addresses in the drop down menu when composing on the beta.icloud.com site. Works on my iphone in the mail app but not in the web based site. It shows my addresses in the account settings. I don't see any support options for this either. I may need to revisit this in a few weeks and go back to my other email provider.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 06:39 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
Also I no longer can see my custom domain addresses in the drop down menu when composing on the beta.icloud.com site. Works on my iphone in the mail app but not in the web based site. It shows my addresses in the account settings. I don't see any support options for this either. I may need to revisit this in a few weeks and go back to my other email provider.
For me the opposite. I can see my addresses in the webmail (beta), but not in the Mail app. Probably because I’m not on IOS 15.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 12:18 PM   #8
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
I stopped at the domain verification because I was going to test it on a domain that I hadn't linked up to any MX records yet. What a strange verification procedure they had. I input an email address on the domain, any at all, and they send an email to that address to confirm it. That sounds like a recipe for domain ownership disputes later, unless that's fixed by further verification steps (which would make it odd to have that one first at all).

Should be interesting.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2021, 06:40 PM   #9
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

It is already fixed. There is another step for domain verification when you update the dns settings.
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2021, 08:44 PM   #10
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
For me the opposite. I can see my addresses in the webmail (beta), but not in the Mail app. Probably because I’m not on IOS 15.
Checked again. The are now visible in the Mail app on IOS 14. So it takes a while.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 10:21 PM   #11
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Checked again. The are now visible in the Mail app on IOS 14. So it takes a while.
Maybe I will redo this domain on icloud, forward any incoming emails to the old provider for now (so I can use the domain email addresses), and wait until this works? Thanks for the info.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 01:48 AM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I input an email address on the domain, any at all, and they send an email to that address to confirm it.
In other words you already have to have MX records and email set up on the domain before you switch the records over to point to iCloud email? That seems rather weird. If you have a domain without existing email set up how do you confirm you own the domain? I guess with many domain registrars you get some free email forwarding so you can use that to receive the confirmation email.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 09:42 AM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

I found this tutorial on setting up iCloud+ custom domains: https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/07/how-t...-domain-video/
Old 25 Sep 2021, 11:37 PM   #14
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I can't go to the page for managing the existing domain name. The page says I need to be icloud+ subscribed. but I am already an icloud+ user. so don't know why.

So I can't add/del the email accounts for custom domain. There is no entry for me.

Do you have the same experience?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2021, 11:57 PM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

I am not an iCloud user myself, but in helping several people that do use iCloud I have found that syncing, etc., frequently fails and for some reason you have to log out and relog into iCloud to get everything working properly. Also, make sure you are updated to the latest version of the operating system.