EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Jun 2024, 08:35 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
old email question

I know young people are using gmail, protonmail, etc. If I use a very old email address (for job seeking, or public contact information), such as hotmail.com, aol.com, will it be looked down upon? Will it make others think that they are communicating with an old guy?
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2024, 08:50 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
here is the answer by chatgpt. But I would like to hear more from the real people.

Quote:
Using an older email domain like hotmail.com or aol.com might give an impression of being less tech-savvy or out of touch with modern technology trends to some people, especially younger individuals or those in tech-savvy industries. However, it's not necessarily a major issue. Here are a few considerations:

1. **Professionalism**: As long as your email address is professional (e.g., firstname.lastname@hotmail.com), it shouldn't be a major problem. Avoid addresses that include nicknames, numbers, or anything that might appear unprofessional.

2. **Industry Standards**: In certain industries, especially tech, marketing, or startups, there might be a stronger preference for more modern email services like Gmail or ProtonMail. In more traditional industries, the email domain might be less of an issue.

3. **Perception**: Using an older domain might lead some to assume you're older or less up-to-date with current technology. This isn't necessarily negative, but it's something to consider based on the impression you want to make.

4. **Email Providers**: Modern email services offer better security, reliability, and features. If you're using an older provider, you might miss out on these benefits.

If you're concerned about the impression your email address might give, you could consider setting up a new, more modern email address specifically for job-seeking or public contact purposes. This way, you can still use your older address for personal or less formal communication.

Ultimately, the content and professionalism of your communication are what matter most. An outdated email address is a minor concern compared to the overall impression you create through your resume, cover letter, and interactions.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2024, 06:54 AM   #3
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

My uninformed opinion is that it's not so much of matter of its being "old" but of its being regarded as unfashionable (Hotmail) or not as good (AOL). It's an interesting idea that maybe a person would be looked down on for seeming old. It might also be possible, though, that you might be regarded favorably as an early pro, an early adopter.

It's something on my mind, too, because I still find that Hotmail is the only format I like.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2024, 07:42 AM   #4
N9s

If people aren't contacting you because of an email address extension, that's a good thing for you. Because there will be no fool around you.
N9s is offline   Reply With Quote