EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 May 2024, 09:52 PM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
how about pronouncing a hotmail address?
Using a Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL address really dates you. People younger than about 50 just don't use them here in the USA. Never use one if applying for a job.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 08:14 AM   #17
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Using a Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL address really dates you. People younger than about 50 just don't use them here in the USA. Never use one if applying for a job.
Is an ISP email suitable for applying for a job? such as charter.net, comcast.net, earthlink.net.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 10:28 AM   #18
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Is an ISP email suitable for applying for a job? such as charter.net, comcast.net, earthlink.net.
Then when/if an interview is scheduled, and when/if the question, "Why do you really want this job?" is asked, the answer could be "I have this cable/internet bill every month.."
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 05:04 PM   #19
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
If you're applying for CEO then it's OK, since someone else is going to be taking care of your email for you...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 05:52 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Is an ISP email suitable for applying for a job? such as charter.net, comcast.net, earthlink.net
Depends on the job. For a professional job a Gmail address is better, and if you have your own custom domain even better. Outlook.com or icloud.com or one of the other Apple addresses are good too. Here in the USA probably 95% of professionals use Apple products and so their addresses are good. I'm not kidding. I used to work for a major supplier of email services for professional associations and for many of them 95% of opens were on Apple products.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 05:55 AM   #21
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojyx
Everything is satisfactory except for privacy.
Yes well ANY email provider can read email packets leaving thier server if they want to... (Yes even you can Jeff )
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2024, 12:18 AM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
1. Free with 15GB of storage, which is more than enough for most people for life.
2. Excellent and useful auxiliary apps like Drive, Docs, Sheets, Photos, etc.
3. Here in the USA a significant number of schools use Chromebooks and therefore every kid has a Google account anyway. I've found that many college-age people are unfamiliar with anything except for the Google tools and apps.
4. The best spam filtering in the business.
5. High level of security if you set your account up right. For example, you have the option of using security keys or even a passkey. Lots of email providers don't have these things.
6. Excellent deliverability. Nobody can just block Gmail servers because so many use Gmail.
7. Probably 90% of your friends have a Gmail address here in the USA. It is like Kleenex--a brand name that has come to mean tissues.
8. You can set things up so you see no ads in your Inbox (turn off the promotions category)
9. They don't scan your emails for advertising, despite what many assume.
10. Trusted company. I know some of you don't think so, but companies even as big as Fastmail are unknown quantities for average folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojyx View Post
- It's free!
- It's extremely stable.
- It's fast.
- 99.9% spam prevention.
- Virus prevention (attachments are automatically inspected before downloading them!
- They give you tons of space.
- There is simple access from any PC, laptop, iPhone/iPad, or any mobile device linked to the Internet.
- There are lots of options to help you manage your email (such as filters, auto-responders, labeling, and much more!).
- There are many browser extensions for it.

Add to that
- unlikely to ever go out of business or be discontinued ; Gmail will probably be around for as long as email itself exists
- the date of previous sign-in is showing on bottom in webmail if you scroll down, as long as the previous sign-in was within 30 days. I find that very reliable to assure there were no other sign-ins other than my own. Not many free providers have such feature (Protonmail does, including in the free version, and apparently mail.be does too)

The only thing I dislike about Gmail is that you probably need a Gmail address to upload videos to YouTube, comment on YouTube videos, or start a Blogspot blog (or are those things possible without a Gmail address ??).
I have a Gmail account I only use for private correspondence, so I prefer not to use that address for Blogspot or YouTube. And I'm not sure how many Gmail addresses one can have, so just creating an extra Gmail address may not be wise.

But other than that, I think Gmail is an excellent free service.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2024, 07:26 AM   #23
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

The only thing I dislike about Gmail is that you probably need a Gmail address to upload videos to YouTube, comment on YouTube videos, or start a Blogspot blog (or are those things possible without a Gmail address ??).
You may not need an acct for youtue.

1. you can sign up google with your own email address such as you@domain.com
2. even you have a gmail account, you can delete the mailbox but keep the acct active.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2024, 03:22 AM   #24
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Here in Belgium, it is I assume. A lot of people use a telenet.be, proximus.be, skynet.be etc address for all correspondance. Those are all domains associated with an ISP.

Quote:
Really? Hotmail is still very popular in Europe, a lot of people use it on daily basis.

Quote:
You may not need an acct for youtue.

1. you can sign up google with your own email address such as you@domain.com
2. even you have a gmail account, you can delete the mailbox but keep the acct active.
Does this also apply to a Blogspot blog, that you can register with a non-Gmail address?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2024, 07:02 AM   #25
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Thanx Jeff.......I really wonder why so many prefer Gmail?

Whats so good about them???

I've always disliked Gmail.

But it doesn't mean people necessarily prefer Gmail. It could also mean that most people haven't heard of the less famous providers.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2024, 12:29 PM   #26
Bamb0
Master of the @

I used to like them when they had a basic interface that worked on all browsers!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote