EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
ewal
Master of the @

Increased Storage etc

Just seen this new announcement.

Amongst other things storage for Enhanced Accounts up to 15gb from 10gb. Thanks Fastmail.

I now no longer need to worry about my storage. I was at 82% use, but now that drops to 55%. So several more years before I need to worry again.

Now looking for Fastmail's Christmas offer of discounted renewals so I can lock in several more years of paid use.

Ed

Last edited by ewal : 13 Nov 2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addition
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

Thanks Rob & all at FastMail.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
ulmus
Essential Contributor

Thanx!!!

P.S. update pls: https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Whoa, Ad Free ($4.95) accounts will become Lite ($10) accounts, double the price. It seems that FM wants to remove itself from the sub-$10 market segment altogether.

Fortunately, you can still renew your Ad Free account for the old price until the end of this month.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
ulmus
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
Whoa, Ad Free ($4.95) accounts will become Lite ($10) accounts, double the price. It seems that FM wants to remove itself from the sub-$10 market segment altogether.
on https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html prices are rounded to $ and lite is 5$ and still lots of disinformations about plans and prices... what a mess...
Old 13 Nov 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
ewal
Master of the @

Hi ulmus,

To be fair to Fastmail I think it is difficult for them to update all the relevant pricing pages, help files, Wikis etc instantly - or even in a matter of a few hours.

Based on past experience things get aligned relatively swiftly so the 'mess' as you describe it will be gone.

I'm sure glad though that Fastmail have provided me with increased storage instantly and without additional charges.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 12:48 AM   #7
labarum
Essential Contributor

This is good news.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 06:39 AM   #8
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmus View Post
on https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html prices are rounded to $ and lite is 5$ and still lots of disinformations about plans and prices... what a mess...
Just a slight oversight, which I've now corrected.

To clarify, the ongoing price for Lite is $10/year. We're offering Lite for $4.95 for the next few weeks to give people a chance to buy a few years in advance if they want to.

Is there anything else in the pricing table that is outright incorrect?
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 06:44 AM   #9
ulmus
Essential Contributor

File storage quota still wrong
Old 14 Nov 2013, 06:45 AM   #10
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yep, just noticed that after I posted. Update is running right now...
Old 14 Nov 2013, 07:07 AM   #11
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Hi FastMail team,

Thanks for the increased storage! However, I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't a $60 level for the family plan! In fact, I noticed you slightly DECREASED the file storage on the $40 plan! I'm one of the guys who loves your file storage, so in that sense, it was a slight downgrade for what I want to use on your system.

The $60 plan under professional gives 25G+10G, which is just about right -- it's the storage I'd like at some point for one of my family accounts... the family plan, however, jumps from $40 (15G+5G) to $120 (60G+30G).

Any chance you'd add another level to the family plan in between $40 and $120? I know you just simplified everything out for people (and I'm guessing you're unlikely to do this), but it's still missing a sweet spot for me.

Just a thought!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:05 AM   #12
ao1
Essential Contributor

What happens to existing guest accounts?
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:21 AM   #13
jonbeharry

Unhappy Unhappy with unequal storage increase

Hopefully my perspective is useful to share. I'm a happy Full account since 2006, and have sent of friends to FM over the years. This announcement marks the first time I've been disappointed in my Fastmail service, to the point of considering moving off it.

I use the web interface, I keep most messages and have been in the habit of deleting large attachments to stay under the 1GB limit. It's only in the last six months that this has become a strain. I'm guessing there's been some bloat in the size of the average email over the years, and keeping within 1GB feels like an unwelcome constraint for the first time.

My eyes lit up at the subject line "Increased storage quotas...". It seemed like perfect timing. The 1GB quota has been in place a while since it moved up from 600MB, and an increase to keep pace with other services makes sense.

So, expectations heightened, it was pretty disappointing to see the quota for Lite and Enhanced accounts more than double - with no price change for Enhanced accounts - and Full accounts unchanged. I've never had much use for file storage, the increase there doesn't impact me.

I think I get it. I'm sure Full accounts make up the bulk of paid accounts, adding even 500MB or 1GB to each of them no doubt entails a big investment in storage. Instead, adding a full 10GB for Enhanced accounts may be less costly and it provides a carrot for people to move up - it's designed to add enough value to make it a no brainer to upgrade.

It's true that my disappointment is tied to my specific situation - I need more storage now and I didn't get it.

But. It's also rooted in being taken for granted as a long time customer. I'm overlooked in this upgrade. It's bizarre and non-sensical to improve services for a chunk of your clients while not doing so for the rest. I have no doubt the specifics of this service increase-for-some is rooted in economics. There's new owners, and funds are limited.

The bottom line is I'm seriously considering a move away from Fastmail when my subscription comes up. I wasn't previously thinking of doing so, despite storage constraints, but being taken for granted in this increase really makes me.

The bottom line, part II, in case there's FM staff reading this. I'm just one user, but one who was motivated enough to join the forum and write a lengthy post in response to this email - I doubt I'm alone in feeling this way. This is supposed to be a service IMPROVEMENT. Great! Wonderful! The fact that I, as a long time paying customer, within (I suspect) your largest cohort of paying customers, am really unhappy about this increase-for-SOME tells me you really goofed on rolling this out.

TL;DR: As a Full account holder, I'm pretty unhappy with not receiving a storage increase, and I thought I'd share why.
jonbeharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:25 AM   #14
ao1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
What happens to existing guest accounts?
Apologies for replying to myself.

Is the following policy still in effect?
Quote:
Existing Guest accounts will continue to work. We have no plans to cancel active Guest accounts. However, if a Guest account is deactivated because it has not been used for 120 days, then it will not be reactivated.
-- http://blog.fastmail.fm/2012/10/18/c...ervice-levels/
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
No change to grandfathered accounts.