EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:10 PM   #31
CML209
Essential Contributor

Maybe the answer is for all of those enhanced members on server 4 to keep up the inquiries (even after things are up and running) about being moved to a better server.
CML209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:10 PM   #32
PetersWeb

Re: Re: Enhanced membership

Quote:
Originally posted by anachron
I would hope that this outage will cause the admins to perhaps move Enhanced accounts to some kind of fail-over dual independent / synchronized server situation so that this can't happen in the future. I would gladly pay another $10 per year for that privilege; I've lost a lot more than $10 by not being able to receive any email for the last 4 hours.

My two bits.
I too wouldn't mind paying a little extra to ensure that an outage of this magnitude doesn't happen again. I'd be quite happy to discuss this with the powers that be at some stage as I'm pretty serious about this.

Today is my last day in the office before going on a business trip next week and I had planned to download some files I have on Fastmail to my Laptop before leaving. Looks like I'll have to try and get them over the weekend and use my home ADSL bandwidth
PetersWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:16 PM   #33
CML209
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Enhanced membership

Quote:
Originally posted by PetersWeb
I too wouldn't mind paying a little extra to ensure that an outage of this magnitude doesn't happen again. I'd be quite happy to discuss this with the powers that be at some stage as I'm pretty serious about this.

Today is my last day in the office before going on a business trip next week and I had planned to download some files I have on Fastmail to my Laptop before leaving. Looks like I'll have to try and get them over the weekend and use my home ADSL bandwidth
The sad point is that the free accounts are getting that less interrupted service.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:45 PM   #34
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

If we pay more will get further degraded service That seems to be the equation ... free = good ... enhanced = .....
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:46 PM   #35
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by CML209
Maybe the answer is for all of those enhanced members on server 4 to keep up the inquiries (even after things are up and running) about being moved to a better server.
IIRC that is just what they did. They put the Enhanced users on the new faster server when they got server 4. I guess any server can have a problem and I'll bet they are frantically working to get it solved non stop. That's probably why we're not hearing a lot right now. The last thing they want is to have Enhanced, or any, customers not able to get mail...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:51 PM   #36
CML209
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
IIRC that is just what they did. They put the Enhanced users on the new faster server when they got server 4. I guess any server can have a problem and I'll bet they are frantically working to get it solved non stop. That's probably why we're not hearing a lot right now. The last thing they want is to have Enhanced, or any, customers not able to get mail...

Sherry
Hi Sherry, I think server 4 was doomed from the getgo. That's the one that had to have all the stuff done that I don't understand. I don't want to take the approach of harsh complaining like I did last year. I'm not going anywhere. I like FM, and as I mentioned, the filespace is up. I just think since this has been a recurring problem that they should consider moving the paying customers to the more reliable servers, which is why I mentioned seeing if there was a graph or something that could compare downtime.
Chei Mi
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:58 PM   #37
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a full account & for some reason thought I was on server 3, but appears I'm on 4 too.
(East Coast)

Had problems off/on all day long & *big* time problems tonight. Haven't been able to get to my mail for hours now.

Though I agree, this is the first time such an outage has caused such severe problems in a long time now, & I'm sure Jeremy, Rob & the crew are doing everything they can to get us back up & running. Until then, on the bright side of things, *ho hum*, guess I'll get to bed earlier than usual tonight.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:03 PM   #38
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

This bites. I thought J&R said long ago that the servers all use hardware RAID. Do we have any good information about which servers are more reliable? As noted here on the wiki the official logs are worse than useless.

[edit: ultimately, it took about 3 days for service to be restored.]

Last edited by elvey : 15 Dec 2005 at 09:45 AM.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:04 PM   #39
CML209
Essential Contributor

I started a thread that I hope will get some response, good or bad. http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=39234
It's one thing to grin and bear it (which is fine), but that doesn't mean we should seek the better service. Seems like all too many are finding out we are on 4.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:13 PM   #40
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Server4 Outage

I have been unable to login to the FastMail server for about 6 hours. I question why the mail server4 function cannot be temporarily transfered to another server while the repairs are made. I know that email is important to everyone. I use mine for medical purposes, so being out of touch because of a 6 hour or more server problem can be very distressing.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:19 PM   #41
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I have a couple of paid accounts. I would be willing to pay more to get reliable service. Maybe FastMail would consider buying a more reliable server for those customers willing to pay a premium. Anyone know of an email service providing really dependable access?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:37 PM   #42
not_happy_jan

This is very bad PR....

I have been sitting at home in Sydney writing an essay all day. My email stopped working at about 11am I think.

I am amazed it has been down all day - it is 4:30pm as I write this.

I have emails on 3 domains hosted by 3 different ISPs and I forward them all to my Fastmail account which I use all day, every day for business and personal email.

I (stupidly, in hindsight) just assumed that the boys (and girls?) at fastmail would have a multiple redundant/mirored server set-up that would mean that my email would never be unavailable unless a meteor hit the NY data centre (or center, to the Yanks...).

After this I will have to set up another email service with a totally separate provider, and have all my emails redirected to both at all times, as I (and the rest of you) obviously cant rely on fastmail... What a shame.
not_happy_jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:44 PM   #43
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I agree. One server failure should not cut off service. I expected that FastMail had some sort of load sharing or redundancy -- so that important communications would still get through to the customer.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:44 PM   #44
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by William9
Anyone know of an email service providing really dependable access?
You could do what I do William, and open a Pobox.com forwarding account, and forward to at least two places - currently I am forwarding to Fastmail and PumaPost, but I can forward to any account, and switch away from a failed service in just a few seconds.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:45 PM   #45
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Arrow Hardware info...

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php/InfraStructure has info on what hardware etc. fastmail uses.

Putting enhanced users on a higher end RAID seems like a good idea.
(5->1->10->...)
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote