EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Are you signing up for a .xyz domain?
Already got one - I lead whilst others follow! 0 0%
Heck, yeah - here's my money! 1 8.33%
No way, Jose! 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Oct 2015, 07:17 AM   #16
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Well, I may go for that one if the pricing is reasonable. I luckily already have a .com name to promote my artwork, but if the pricing is reasonable I'd register the .art variant too. Only if pricing is OK ; after all .com will still be king for the forseeable future so I already got the domain I really needed. The .art version of it would be a bonus.

I know Wikipedia isn't Always reliable but here's an (incomplete?) list of the new TLD's.

I see some potential but it will take a while for people to get used to these:
.academy (no restrictions apparently, unlike the .edu domains)
.college (idem dito)
.university (idem dito)
.voyage (no restrictions apparently, unlike .travel)
.adult
.app
.bar
.blog
.career
.chat
.cheap
.church
.club
.date
.dating
.email
.football
.jobs
.love
.media
.movie
.news
.ngo
.post
.site
.wiki
.xxx
.pub
.band

It will take a while to get accustomed to them though. Also, while I see potential in the above ones, the risk exists that the .edu domains will lose some of their value due to the new unrestricted academy-esque domains. Idem dito with the numerous adult site extentions ; 1 such extention would have been sufficient. The number of extentions for singles/dating and for real estate is quite high too ; 1 extention for each of those would have been sufficient.

There's some weird ones where I really don't see how they will possibly get any popularity.

.blackfriday
.cancerresearch (too long ... something like .med for "medical" would have been more suitable)
.kim (are we going to create a gTLD for every somewhat common name while we already have .name and .me ?)
.ninja (what's the point in this one?)
.pizza (if we need a gTLD for every type of food the list of new extentions will be endless)
.sücks (I don't think the world needs hate sites and thus such sites shouldn't be encouraged)
.vodka
.wtf
.qpon (would stand for "coupon" but I don't see this misspelling work + there's already .gift and .gifts as well)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
And brands having their own domain seems silly to me as well. Will cause a lot of confusion as all these brands have been known under their .com or similar long-existing domains ...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2021, 07:18 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Now that a few years have passed since the initial post and poll results, what are your current opinions on the .xyz domain?

Personally I now have 5 .xyz domains registered, and have not encountered any problems with them at all.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2021, 08:16 AM   #19
Bamb0
Master of the @

Our friend Jeff here has an email service on .xyz . The only bad thing about ".xyz" is alot of mail servers block incoming mail thinking its spam but otherwise I would say Jeffs email is the best ever!!

Merci Jeff!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote