EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Aug 2004, 04:11 AM   #1
BLuRReD
Essential Contributor

Lightbulb bouncing emails

i was wondering if runbox can offer an option to bounce emails option like the one is being provided by fastmail ?
BLuRReD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Maybe. But don't think it fights spam much, though...

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2004, 02:11 PM   #3
BLuRReD
Essential Contributor

i know it's not that good in fighting spam , am looking forward to using it for another purpose which is getting rid of ppl who become unwanted or not welcomed to email me , got it ? , so u answered maybe , does this mean a yes or not ?cool:
Old 4 Aug 2004, 07:42 PM   #4
trond
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BLuRReD
i know it's not that good in fighting spam , am looking forward to using it for another purpose which is getting rid of ppl who become unwanted or not welcomed to email me
Well, it's better to use the blacklist for this, actually.

Besides, "bounce" doesn't do what you think it does. It is not the same as a bounce from a mailserver, that says that it couldn't deliver a mail. A bounce that's done from a mail client, is more like forwarding, except that the message and all headers are kept intact.

If you want to do this automatically for all mails from a particular sender, you can use the "redirect to" option in the filter page. I want to make it possible to redirect messages manually from the webapp, but I have no schedule for this, yet.

Quote:

u answered maybe , does this mean a yes or not ?
Well, I don't think we'll make a function to let you bounce a message in the same way as a mail server bounces it. But the redirection style of bouncing is on my list of planned features.
trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:24 PM   #5
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by trond
Besides, "bounce" doesn't do what you think it does. It is not the same as a bounce from a mailserver, that says that it couldn't deliver a mail. A bounce that's done from a mail client, is more like forwarding, except that the message and all headers are kept intact.
FM's bounce feature actually does attempt to fake a "no such user" bounce message. They refer to what you're thinking of as "redirect to people".
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:26 PM   #6
trond
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
FM's bounce feature actually does attempt to fake a "no such user" bounce message. They refer to what you're thinking of as "redirect to people".
Oh. Thanks, I didn't know that.

Anyway - no immediate plans to do this here.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 09:21 PM   #7
BLuRReD
Essential Contributor

okay.... , that was really frustrating....
Old 5 Aug 2004, 12:49 AM   #8
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
i know it's not that good in fighting spam , am looking forward to using it for another purpose which is getting rid of ppl who become unwanted or not welcomed to email me , got it ? , so u answered maybe , does this mean a yes or not ?cool:
You could always just do this manually (Assuming there are not TOO many people you want to be rid of! )

Just send a message to a fictitious address at runbox, then recreate that same message to send back to your target, putting your email address in place of the one you made up . . .

Someone who really took the time (and had the knowledge) to go through and check all the headers might be suspicious, but they would be with the FM fake bounce as well I suspect.

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2004, 08:42 PM   #9
trond
Essential Contributor

Well, we do want to offer autoreplies soon, and we could probably make this as a variation of an autoreply...

Now, it is possible for the mailserver to bounce the message based on users' filter entries, but this option is disabled in our setup. The reason is that we don't want to bounce messages at all. We prefer to reject them.

The difference between a bounce and a reject, is that a bounce will be sent to whoever the sender said he was. A reject is... well, it tells the sender directly that we don't want the message. So even if the from-address is faked, it'll be returned to the one that actually did send the message.

To be able to reject a message, we need to do it while the connection is still active. Once the sender closes connection, it's too late. And this is pretty much where the problem lies. It is very important that we are still able to receive mail, even if there are local network problems. So, all tests the mailservers need to do to determine if it wants to reject the mail or not, must be done without accessing the local network at all. But, the users' filter files are located in the users' home directory, on a network disk. This means that once we get to the filter, it's too late to reject the message.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 01:33 AM   #10
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by trond
So, all tests the mailservers need to do to determine if it wants to reject the mail or not, must be done without accessing the local network at all. But, the users' filter files are located in the users' home directory, on a network disk. This means that once we get to the filter, it's too late to reject the message.
Interesting . . . so how are you applying our individual preferences for "Reject If Possible" since that is part of the filters info. Do you cache that information on the mailservers and do they do a quick loopup to see if all the recipients of a message are agreeing to reject, and then act accordingly?

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2004, 04:55 AM   #11
trond
Essential Contributor

Yes, these settings are special.

Virus and Spam-settings are exported to the mail servers every six minutes. The same goes for user information, actually. We create cdb-files that contains every valid username on the system. That's why it'll take up to six minutes from a trial account is registered until it can receive mail.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 09:17 AM   #12
JeffK

If a message is rejected what text or other information does the sender see?

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2004, 10:01 PM   #13
goofy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK

Jeff
Is there a text at all
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2004, 10:06 PM   #14
user4
Essential Contributor

Re: bouncing emails

Quote:
i was wondering if runbox can offer an option to bounce emails option like the one is being provided by fastmail ?

Why do you need Runbox to create this function?

Can't you just create an email message imitating some "sample bounced email", send it to those on your unwanted friends.

You may want to use correct ip addresses etc, in order to fake it as more real.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 03:24 AM   #15
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK

Jeff
SPAM Rejection Letter:
Quote:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>:
193.71.199.94 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-This message was automatically rejected because the
recipient has chosen
550-not to receive unsolicited email. If you feel your message was erroneously
550-rejected you may want to reformat/rephrase it and try again, or contact
550 support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Virus Rejection Letter:
Quote:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>:
193.71.199.94 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 This message contains malware {Eicar-Test-Signature}

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote