EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: how did you come to know about fastmail
google search "best webmail etc etc .." 35 34.65%
friends 19 18.81%
emaildiscussions 46 45.54%
signature on some1's guest account 0 0%
about.com 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Dec 2004, 06:51 PM   #16
andyb

Re: Not sure yet. Could have been here or ...

Quote:
Originally posted by fmnewbee
or more likely from Edwin on his site. http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_imap.htm
It's so long ago I'm not sure, but I think it was Edwin's site for me as well. Fastmail was one of the first public IMAP servers around, and I had been looking out for one. I started with MyRealBox, but it ended up being too unreliable.

AndyB
andyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 07:04 PM   #17
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
I came to know of Fastmail through the local Perl group where Jeremy gave a presentation on the role of this development platform in the implementation of Fastmail technology. Checking with Google, this was back in mid- to late-2002.
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:33 AM   #18
Chipper
Master of the @

EMD -- did a Google search to find somewhere that provided comparisons on e-mail providers. That lead me to emailaddresses.com which in turn led me to EMD. Tried Oddpost & Runbox but FM won out. Although I liked the humor of the OP guys, FM had more features. RB was fairly comparitive in features, but 50% higher than a full membership.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:38 AM   #19
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
I think this thread is a bit biaised though. People who have not found FM through EMA and never been here since they joined FM cannot answer this poll and therefore the results here only show people who are EMA-aware (and are more than likely to have found FM through EMA)...

My 2c.

Eric
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:21 AM   #20
alka
Essential Contributor

I honestly can't remember how i found FM. It wasnt via a friend or word of mouth or EMD, just somewhere in the hundreds of pages i view daily.

What i do know is i signed up for a free account Nov 7, 2001. I believe they were finishing up some beta testing at that point, and were asking people to help test stuff and were soon offering very low prices on all accounts. I was being cheep and didnt take them up on it (did they ever offer a lifetime account? i cant recall... if so i'll kick myself in public for all to see).

I sent an email to the webmaster(not sure who it was, they didnt sign the reply, though the header has the domain optimaldecisions.com in it.. any ideas?). I was very enthusiastic about helping out, and my ideas were rather dumb in retrospect, with the exception of my comment that "the address book could be a little more robust". Funny that!

It wasnt until the end of May 2002 that i finally got a member account and started using it full time.
alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:30 PM   #21
mammaduck

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
Well, the one that comes closest is the google search. But if I remember correctly, I was searching for ane email service that would allow email client access. This was immediately after Yahoo had discontinued its free POP retrieval and I was mad as hell at them for that.
Ditto

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:09 PM   #22
denverharless

Quote:
Originally posted by mammaduck
Ditto

Hanneke
I also was looking for a service with POP3 after Yahoo yanked their free access. I actually heard about Emaildiscussions from a news article that was talking about the fallout of the dot-com bust on web email. Later, I did a search and found EMD myself. Of course, from there, it was easy to give FM a try.

What I still can't believe is that I had so much to talk about regarding email. I mean, I don't know anybody else except for people here who have used Pegasus, tried Thinklink (remember them?) and Ureach, not to mention Excitemail and many others. Early on (1994) I realized the value of having an email address that was not associated with my ISP or university--longevity. It was great to find a place where other people actually were giving this some thought as well.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:05 PM   #23
snsh

Searched google for domain mail hosting. In 2002 FM was the lowest cost / most acclaimed option I found.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 03:03 AM   #24
fatdove52

Cool

I stumbled across Fastmail in a non-Google search for an email service provider when my Yahoo account was more a spamcatcher( a testement to their spam filters which I had set to high) than the business email I had opened the account for. I was rather skeptical, so I checked Fastmail out for a while then tested the free account and was very pleased. I now have an enhanced account ( almost 2 years) and I'm not going anywhere else unless Australlia gets sucked down into the ocean. Then I s'pose I'll have to hunt up another email service; bollocks.
fatdove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 05:00 AM   #25
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

What happened in my case was that MailAndNews were about to shut down (they were rescued at the last minute, only to go toes-up due to incompetent management; they're still running, but how they expect to get people to pay for their service when it's so awful is beyond me), so I switched to OperaMail because at the time it was using the same Craptaris interface (and provided POP3 access, at the time an important consideration for me) — and just two weeks later, they switched to another interface with only 2Mb space instead of 5Mb, and no access except webmail; and had the cheek to tout this beforehand as an "improvement"! So I went to EMD and found FM; I also discovered IMAP and how vastly better it is than POP. As the saying goes, I've never looked back since...

(Incidentally, the poll option "Google search" should have been "web search"; perhaps a mod could fix this?)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 08:55 AM   #26
akorvemaker
Master of the @

None of the above: I saw the @fastmail.fm part of someone's address (on the K-meleon web browser development mailing list) and was curious. I hadn't heard of it before and had no idea what the .fm was for (so I looked that up too). A day or two later I had a guest account. A month later I had a member account. A month later I had a full account.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 07:55 PM   #27
specialK
Essential Contributor

I read a the review in The Sunday Times in the UK (this is cited on the fastmail.fm homepage). Hotmail had just stopped offering POP retrival into their accounts so I swapped to Fastmail but still used my Hotmail address.

Now I'm going to have to get rid of it altogether as they're about to stop offering POP3 collection into other accounts.

Time to start giving out the @fastmail.fm address!
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2004, 02:58 AM   #28
janetlorraine

None of the polling answers fit how I came to know about fastmail. I was trying to find a good, free web-based mail account and checked out articles on CNET. This was when fastmail was pretty new and it was already getting rave reviews. I use some others but fastmail's stays my main mail account - and my all time favorite!
janetlorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2004, 01:03 PM   #29
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I found out about it on an e-mail website- probably emailaddresses.com but I'm not sure...I was looking for free POP3/IMAP access. That was about 3 years ago I believe, more or less- anyway at that time they had no fee structure set up yet. When they did implement that, I went along a while with the free account but finally paid for the Member level so I could use mail forwarding, mainly
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2004, 12:15 AM   #30
gdg

EMD.

It was recommended by a tech guy with a university to use a paid email account with universal access and support, so I wouldn't just be using a pop-only account, like I was doing with my ISP. His recommendation was Runbox. Evaluating Runbox was how I ran across EMD, and then, of course, became exposed to all sorts of options I never knew existed.

That's how I arrived at Fastmail.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote