EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Should the flap of the toilet paper roll face the front or the back?
The front, definitely! 54 85.71%
The back, no question about it! 9 14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Aug 2004, 01:22 PM   #106
polo

Cool Best method: TP + water!

Think about it: if you got urine/faeces on your hand you wouldn't *just* use TP would you? The best method is to wipe as much off using TP and then wash (and dry).

There's generally 3 methods for this:-

1) Bidets started in France and are used alot in Europe and hotels. Many "modern" home bathrooms have these but are under-used.

Food for thought:
http://www.bidet.com/bidet.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

"If it is routine to wash one's hands after using the toilet, is it even not more logical to wash one's bottom? Babies always have their bottoms washed clean, powdered and pampered. However, upon graduating from infancy to the stage of self reliant childhood, they are permitted to revert to the medieval custom of wiping with dry toilet paper..."

2) You can purchase "moist" toilet tissue (similar to baby/travel wipes).

3) Middle East/Islamic culture. Water is always available in toilet usually via a jug or hosepipe. The ritual cleanliness requires one to keep one's clothes and body free of impurities (e.g. urine/faeces) at all times but especially at times of ritual worship such as prayer. This requires washing with water after both toilet actions; in fact the men will pass water sitting/squatting down to avoid "sprinkles" -- this is a convenient posture for the washing and there's no 'toilet seat down for the ladies' problem afterwards!

The Germans this year have invented a gadget relating to this:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...099825,00.html
Keeping Men on Target - talking toilet
polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2004, 04:11 PM   #107
teacher
Master of the @

And aliens?
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2004, 06:44 PM   #108
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Hi EMDer's! ..I haven't posted for a while, but this thread seemed a far too important issue for me not to comment.

The paper should definitely hang at the front, never the back, although I would be able to tolerate a vertical roll holder as an exceptable alternative. But then this begs the question "should the paper leave the roll from the left or right?"

Those who hang the paper at the back should seek counselling as this is clearly not the way to do things!

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2004, 07:32 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
The paper should definitely hang at the front, never the back, although I would be able to tolerate a vertical roll holder as an exceptable alternative. But then this begs the question "should the paper leave the roll from the left or right?"
That depends on whether the roll is to your left or to your right
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:41 PM   #110
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Hmmm emailadressian's, I'm not sure the kindest possible way to say this...

But from my outsider's perspective this is an extremely bizarre thread to say the very least...

Is there nothing else left to talk about?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:52 PM   #111
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel T
That depends on whether the roll is to your left or to your right
good point Daniel! ...I would say the paper should leave forwardmost on a vertical holder, i.e. from the right if to the left, or to the left if to the right (if that makes any sense).

_Malc
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:57 PM   #112
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm

But from my outsider's perspective this is an extremely bizarre thread to say the very least...

I know what you mean Dan, but it is interesting and amusing.

_Malc
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:52 AM   #113
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm

I take full credit -- er, blame -- for reviving this topic. It was languishing in the back pages of this forum and I just happen to notice it while looking for something else.

Besides, we needed another weird topic to complement Coume's one about body piercings.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2004, 06:20 AM   #114
snsh

The thing with central/south asia is they have"wet bathroom"
which is set up so you can splash your bottom and then
take a bath with a bucket of water and a measuring cup.
The whole bathroom is a continuum of wetness.

What do the japanese use these days?
Are automatic rinse + jet dry systems common
or do they just show those on American TV?
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2004, 01:13 AM   #115
teacher
Master of the @

Um, one question...what is messured in the cup?
Old 8 Aug 2004, 01:14 AM   #116
teacher
Master of the @

And aliens?

I made that two questions
Old 10 Nov 2004, 05:59 AM   #117
JeffK

On a related subject, and because I know there are cat lovers on the forum who will be interested, I have decided to post this very helpful household hint, which gives the absolute lie to those who, as I have in the past, think that cats have no useful prupose for their existence.

How To Clean Your Toilet - The Fun Way

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely,

The Dog
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2004, 08:01 AM   #118
dantheman

Jeff, i didn't know mods could be so violent!
Who knows, Odie may want to hire you for a Garfield stunt!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2004, 04:58 PM   #119
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Nice one Jeff!! funniest post I've seen for some time. Not too sure how popular you're gonna be with the cat lovers however

_Malc
Old 11 Nov 2004, 08:03 AM   #120
gysca

Quote:
Originally posted by teacher
Now for the big question I've always wanted to ask.....Is toilet paper used all over the world, or do other cultures use different methods to gain that clean feeling?
hi, just wanted to comment on this question. I first saw paper towel about 15 years ago or so. I don't know if my parents already utilized paper towel before that time or not. in the country where I was born, public toilet is a small room consists of: a squat-styled toilet, a faucet on the wall, a small pail consists of water, and (I'm not sure what's the term for this thing) a thing to get some amount of water to wash your *sorry* private areas and your hand after you're done doing whatever business in there. I'm not sure if public toilets are still like that nowadays. just fyi, my hubby will never use paper towel in the bathroom beside when his stomach's totally messed up.

sorry if my choice of wording is too vulgar. mods please kindly edit.

btw I vote for the front because it's easier my hubby sometimes leave the toilet completely open, sometimes he left the seat down, sometimes he left everything's closed our baby daughter hasn't been potty trained yet and it's been quite a struggle to make her empty her stomach by sitting on the toilet.

Last edited by gysca : 11 Nov 2004 at 08:08 AM.
gysca is offline   Reply With Quote