EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 2 May 2005, 05:07 AM   #16
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Webgenie
As far as blocking large file attachments from coming in, I don't know of any way to do it with Opera itself. If you know who is sending them, you can give a webmail address not configured to be collected through Opera.
Kind of figured that one. The only workaround i could find so far, is to set a filter in Fastmail.fm account to automatically send those large messages into a special folder.

That's not too bad a solution, but when i want to be advised of incoming messages in that "large folder" i need to login or use Fastcheck.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 09:20 PM   #17
dantheman

Just noticed that my post was sent over to the Off Topic section. Glad a Mod was so kind to do this and sorry had initially posted in wrong section. You think you would learn even after almost 500 posts?!

With regards to my previous post here (filtering large messages to separate folder). Would there be another way to let me know when a new message comes in there rather than having to login or use FastCheck ?

All of this may be useless for me as they are talking of getting highspeed over here by the end of the year but i'm sure many people will remain on dial-up for a while yet.
Old 3 May 2005, 04:28 AM   #18
maskull

Kudos to Webgenie

Thank you, Webgenie. I like Opera. Now I like it more.
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 05:37 AM   #19
Webgenie

Glad to share the good stuff
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 10:10 AM   #20
psalzer

I'm playing around with Opera 8 right now. I always seem to go back to Firefox, but this is pretty nice.

There are a couple of extensions I wish existed in Opera. Does anyone know if there's anything like Foxylicious for Opera? (That's the one that imports your del.icio.us links into FF's bookmarks and you can update it daily if you want.)
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 02:35 PM   #21
gdg

I don't know what they did in Opera 8, but all the 8 betas and even the 8 final release does not work with the webmail page for my work. 7.54 worked fine.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 04:40 PM   #22
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Gdg, can I ask what webmail application that is? (ie: Horde, Neomail, homebrewn solution, etc) ? This kind of thing might be important for the Opera dev's to know.

Are you indentifying as Opera or as IE? (Press F12 to open Quickpreferences, the identify-as options are at the bottom). Is it within the webmail application itself, or already the login page.. if it's the login page, is that publically accessible?

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 04:43 PM   #23
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Pat,

While I have not used delicious myself, I found this resource for you:

http://www.forum4designers.com/message211757.html

It involves a workaround using (yet another) service, called Spurl. It presents your Delicious bookmarks as a panel, suitable for display in Opera's sidepanels. Not an optimal solution, IMHO, but workable enough, I hope?

--K
Old 3 May 2005, 09:49 PM   #24
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Gdg, can I ask what webmail application that is? (ie: Horde, Neomail, homebrewn solution, etc) ? This kind of thing might be important for the Opera dev's to know.

Are you indentifying as Opera or as IE? (Press F12 to open Quickpreferences, the identify-as options are at the bottom). Is it within the webmail application itself, or already the login page.. if it's the login page, is that publically accessible?

--K
It was identifying as IE (I think it does by default when installed), and I found out, thanks to your suggestion, it only works if Opera identifies as Opera...but it normally works in IE or Mozilla. It only shows up as a blank page at login if id'd as anything but Opera, but the ads show stuff about Novell and Groupwise. Weird. It is Novell Groupwise WebAccess. I did report it, but they probably thought I was goofy if they tried it on theirs, if they identify as Opera while testing.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 10:48 PM   #25
kander
The "e" in e-mail

My hunch is that the webapplication is doing something called 'browser-sniffing'. Instead of writing code that works in all major browsers they write separate versions (with specific hacks) for each browser, and then send each browser the proper version. Detecting which browser is used can be done through the useragent string (which you changed).

In 95% of the cases Browser Detection actually makes Opera do bad things, because the two browsers generally detected are IE and Netscape (hey, some developers still use scripts when that was a common truth).. anything not IE and not NS is considered to be 'unsupported'. Glad to see they do support Opera in this case.

--K
Old 4 May 2005, 09:25 PM   #26
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by Webgenie
As far as blocking large file attachments from coming in, I don't know of any way to do it with Opera itself. If you know who is sending them, you can give a webmail address not configured to be collected through Opera.
Kudos indeed to you Webgenie!
Opera is starting to be my preferred browser!
The default "cached images" is a definite plus.

If i don't download message body then i presume this should help me keep a quicker email service right?
Old 4 May 2005, 11:58 PM   #27
Webgenie

Quote:
If i don't download message body then i presume this should help me keep a quicker email service right?
That sounds right, but I don't really know since I do download the message body.

Once you get converted, you'll never go back
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2005, 01:07 PM   #28
maskull

Opera ads

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
ok, great I'm not the web police- it's ok with me
The Google ads are still running, recording your preferences - whatever they do... They are only not seen. Opera still is receiving revenue for showing them, (right?) ... So unless we're worried about potential sales being lost - and I for one, cannot imagine responding to one of those Google ads ... what the heck. There's also a program called "no op ads" which places an always on top image that covers the ads. Webgenie's method is much better - it gives you that extra bar of usable space. At any rate, if you're worried about Google snooping: Never use Gmail, Yahoo, and so on ad nauseum ..
Old 5 May 2005, 01:09 PM   #29
psalzer

So am I the only one who actually likes the ads? I hated the animated banner ads that used to run in Opera, but since the switched to Google ads, I've considered it a feature.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2005, 03:31 PM   #30
maskull

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
So am I the only one who actually likes the ads? I hated the animated banner ads that used to run in Opera, but since the switched to Google ads, I've considered it a feature.
Actually, I used to find them interesting.. the different choices that Google would make.. that their system picked as being of interest to me.. But I'm enough of a contrarian that I would never click on one. If I were curious as to one of Google's selections, I'd always copy the url and go there directly, not link from a Google ad. I would rather have the space though, and they can be distracting.