EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 May 2005, 11:39 PM   #61
Webgenie

I don't know a thing about that, but found this post about how to do it.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2005, 12:50 PM   #62
psalzer

Well, Firefox 1.04 keeps crashing on me. I haven't got time to figure out what the problem is at the moment, so I guess Opera 8 is going to get another long look from me. It doesn't do everything I want, but it doesn't crash either.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2005, 09:13 PM   #63
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
There is however one item that plays strongly in favour of Opera, it is a little quicker in page rendering than Firefox.

Another feature it has: selection of any word and right clicking on it gives you a world of options that i've failed to see in any Firefox addon.

I've found that Opera doesn't load them much faster than Firefox. I've also found that there is more bad rendering in Opera than in FireFox.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 01:15 AM   #64
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot
I've found that Opera doesn't load them much faster than Firefox. I've also found that there is more bad rendering in Opera than in FireFox.
Plus adblock in Firefox totally rocks!
I started messing with Opera a few days ago and thought there was potential. What I did not like was no plugin for a decent Adblock. So I went to their forums to see what I could find.

Well there are numerous requests from thier user base for this function. True there are a few hacks to accomplish this, but it is just to much hassel. The official reply from Opera is a consistant statement that Firefox does not include it, that's it's a third party application. They also state the option is available with Opera too as a third party app. Plus they state very few people use Firefox's Adblock extension, then why is it one of the top downloaded exstensions? Give me a break and pull your head out!

Well fact being Firefox provides API's for plugins and have them posted on their website for a very easy install. Opera does none of this, they choose to stick their heads in the sand and not acknowledge that it is in fact a very popular feature. They also refuse to listen to their user base who is crying for this feature, look at the Opera forums.

So my question is;
Why pay for a browser who does not have the features I requre and refuse to acknowledge the call for a needed feature? I can get all of this for free from Firefox which is also cross platform.

Okay end of rant
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 02:31 AM   #65
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus0263

Why pay for a browser who does not have the features I requre and refuse to acknowledge the call for a needed feature? I can get all of this for free from Firefox which is also cross platform.
Well I wouldn't pay for Opera, either...and it does come in a free version that's ad-supported. Truth be told, as much as I admire the open-source Mozilla products, I wouldn't pay for any of them, either. Except maybe Thunderbird And I do have to say that though I like both browsers, on a dial-up connection Opera is much faster for me, at any rate.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 02:34 AM   #66
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot
A friend of mine on highspeed found that Firefox was slower than IE! Hum...

I had tweaked Fx with about:config and found it to be just as quick as Opera, even the back-forward was almost the same but for some reason or another, one or two of the tweaks in Fx were changed thus rendering it much slower than before. After i fixed it, things were back to normal and just as fast as Opera.

Although for broadband, i find it to work just fine for me on my good old dial-up connection:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make
several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to
"0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

(picked up from Mozillazine forum somewhere).
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 02:56 AM   #67
Webgenie

Thanks, dan, I added that new integer and will give it a speed test later. I also set maxconnections and maxconnections per server to higher numbers, which is also an Opera speed tweak.

I have a question for Firefox users. I use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) and after using Firefox, I have a big load of Crap. After using Opera or K-Meleon, there is nothing or so little that I don't bother deleting it. Is there a setting in Firefox that prevents this junk file creation? If Firefox had any degree of speed and didn't dirty my computer, I would use it instead of K-Meleon, because as I probably mentioned, I LOVE the ability to reject cookies in Firefox. I also like the walnut-look skin.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 03:01 AM   #68
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
<snip>
1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
<snip?
This is also availble as an extension, it's "Tweak Network", nice little GUI to accomplish the task. Works great, that's what I love about Firefox, extensions. Just browse through and find what you need. If it doesn't exsist and you want to take the time, code it and share it with others.

All this for free!

Also for a good bandwidth tester and tools go to DSL Reports , they've got some great tweaks there. When I was running Winblows I tweaked the XP system network for performance, worked great. Now that I've dumped Winblows and run Linux on my home machine and Laptop, I tweaked the Linux network settings also. I tell you what I did see an increase with performance on XP, but the tweaks for Linux really made a large difference. You basicly tweak the packet size etc...
Old 23 May 2005, 03:07 AM   #69
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by Webgenie
Thanks, dan, I added that new integer and will give it a speed test later. I also set maxconnections and maxconnections per server to higher numbers, which is also an Opera speed tweak.

I have a question for Firefox users. I use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) and after using Firefox, I have a big load of Crap. After using Opera or K-Meleon, there is nothing or so little that I don't bother deleting it. Is there a setting in Firefox that prevents this junk file creation? If Firefox had any degree of speed and didn't dirty my computer, I would use it instead of K-Meleon, because as I probably mentioned, I LOVE the ability to reject cookies in Firefox. I also like the walnut-look skin.
Looks like you've just got to set your cache in the preferences, if that's what you mean. Other than that I'm sure there's an extension to do what you want, check them out.

There's literally hundreds of themes to choose from. I myself use a brushed aluminum that I really like.

Just take the time and browse throught the extensions and themes availible, they're endless. Go to tools and select Extensions or Themes and it'll take you to the mozilla site for them.

Cheers.

Edit: For being blind

Last edited by marcus0263 : 23 May 2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:47 AM   #70
marcus0263

Tools to use

Also if you are on M$ Winblows I very highly recommend using either Aluria or Spybot S&D to keep the nasties out. Aluria is for fee and works pretty well, but Spybot S&D is free. I've found Aluria actually does a better job with cleaning, but Spybot has some nifty tools. I especially like the option for including spyware sites in your host file. This way when there is a call for the nasty site it just points to your local machine.

But having to worry about all the spybots, malware, key loggers, viruses, etc.. etc.. I just finaly made the final leap to using only Unix and Linux for my OS's.

Anyway back on subject, if you don't want to use a comercial product at least run Spybot S&D and/or Adaware no matter what browser you use, be it Firefox or Opera. Once you do that you'll see an increase in performance also. There's allot of M$ machines that are just loaded with Spybots and tracking garbage, this will make your system crawl

My two cents worth
Old 23 May 2005, 06:01 AM   #71
dantheman

[quote]Originally posted by marcus0263
This is also availble as an extension, it's "Tweak Network", nice little GUI to accomplish the task. Works great, that's what I love about Firefox, extensions...

Marcus,

It may be too soon and don't want to overdue it but, this extension, at least for now, on this Sunday May 22 afternoon 2005 has brought my Fx to an almost highspeed effectiveness for page rendering!

If it keeps this speed then we'll have to start a "Firefox Fans United" thread! (that was a good "eek" btw).
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2005, 06:13 AM   #72
marcus0263

[quote]Originally posted by dantheman
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus0263
This is also availble as an extension, it's "Tweak Network", nice little GUI to accomplish the task. Works great, that's what I love about Firefox, extensions...

Marcus,

It may be too soon and don't want to overdue it but, this extension, at least for now, on this Sunday May 22 afternoon 2005 has brought my Fx to an almost highspeed effectiveness for page rendering!

If it keeps this speed then we'll have to start a "Firefox Fans United" thread! (that was a good "eek" btw).
Glad to help!

Also I highly recommend going to DSL Reports and go to the tweak section where it shows you how to tweak your systems packets. This will increase your speed also, that is if you're on broadband. I'm not sure how it would work on a dial up account, but I know it really picks up speed on broadband. Like I said it improved XP's network performance when I was still using Winblows. But it really improved my Linux performance when I made the tweaks, I mean the tweaks made Linux scream on the net.

Cheers
Old 23 May 2005, 07:03 AM   #73
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Thanks also from me for the tips Mine is MUCH faster now as well, hard to believe on a dial-up connection. OK, now another reason to use Firefox more
Old 23 May 2005, 07:14 AM   #74
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
Thanks also from me for the tips Mine is MUCH faster now as well, hard to believe on a dial-up connection. OK, now another reason to use Firefox more
Make sure you've got the Adblock extension to kill those bandwidth sucking ads. Once you've installed it I recommend to initially put these entries in along with selecting site blocking.

*/ads/*
*banner*
*doubleclick*
*fastclick*

Then when you find pages with garbage right click and block the site serving the ads, example

http://somedomain.com/greatdeal/what...bage/buyme.gif

I'd add a wild card like

http://somedomain.com/greatdeal/*

This way everything from that domain from their adserver is killed. It took me a couple of days to build a blacklist and now I'm pretty much 99% free of crap. I do get some, but those are actually things I chose to keep.

Cheers
Old 23 May 2005, 10:56 AM   #75
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

yep, I'm working on building a blacklist myself now...didn't realize there was so much blockable crap thanks again