EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 18 Feb 2005, 04:30 AM   #1
kalashnikov

Exclamation GMail is becoming crap!

Lots of times when I log into my GMail account, I can only log in, give away invites and log out. I am not able to view my mail, go to my settings or anything.

What is happening?
kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Feb 2005, 04:39 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Do you mean that you cannot click on some links? Which browser are you using? If Firefox or Mozilla, some extensions interfere with Gmail javascripts, so you need to disable them one at a time to see which ones are the culprit.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 04:48 AM   #3
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have also had several problems with Gmail, many of which have been discussed by myself and other members on various past threads. I have never thought it was a terribly reliable or secure email. Early on I had several photographs and pieces of mail go missing, and the spam has always been annoying!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 05:04 AM   #4
kalashnikov

I just use Internet Exploder to access GMail.
kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 05:05 AM   #5
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Susan,

You lost the emails early in the beta cycle. Have you lost any emails lately?

You still have spam problem? I only had spam during Christmas, and soon after Christmas spam totally stopped.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 05:15 AM   #6
war17
The "e" in e-mail

kalashnikov,

Here is Google's Help page for inability to click on links in Gmail. You need to be logged into your account to get this page.

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/...27820742536405
Old 18 Feb 2005, 09:39 AM   #7
euroman

Re: GMail is becoming crap!

Quote:
Originally posted by kalashnikov
Lots of times when I log into my GMail account, I can only log in, give away invites and log out. I am not able to view my mail, go to my settings or anything.

What is happening?
I have no problem with gmail on firefox - never had. I think your heading is a bit of an over reaction to what maybe as others have pointed out your own settings problem.
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:13 AM   #8
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by war17
Susan,

You lost the emails early in the beta cycle. Have you lost any emails lately?

You still have spam problem? I only had spam during Christmas, and soon after Christmas spam totally stopped.
Warren:

I am still having problems with almost all of my and my families' account with spam; although most appear in the spam folder now, some are stikll appearing in my inbox. I do not use gmail for anything important whatsoever, and I never did, so it has never caused me any serious problems, but I would never rocommend it or give it any recognition as being a good service.

Euroman:

Kalashnikov is not the only one who has been having such problems, I know a lot of others who have been having similar problems this week with gmail, but they are not forum members.

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:40 AM   #9
psalzer

Still no problems here, using Firefox. My husband and sister are both using it as their main accounts with IE. No problems there either.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:02 PM   #10
DBH

At home, I can access my GMail account with IE and Firefox, but at work, after I get the log-in page and type in my username/password, nothing happens. I'm guessing my school district has a problem with GMail. I haven't questioned the IT guys about it yet.
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:28 PM   #11
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm quite happy with gmail.
Main service for family and friends now.
Occasionally, pop access is down.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 02:41 PM   #12
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by kalashnikov
I just use Internet Exploder to access GMail.
Internet Exploder?
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:27 PM   #13
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

The title are too general *Big Smile*

Not all of us have these problems but Gmail are different.

I mean compared to BB my Gmail are extrememly reliable.

Suppose gmail have had one down time in 6 month? while BB have that many in one week or at least once a month? Or so it feels I use FF and not IE.

My very expensive SmartPhone Sony Ericsson P910i that never fails one other emails fails with gmail and that is because they use java that seems not behave like most programmers expect.

Gmail are working on a html based site so these problems get corrected.

No spam but many false positives from yahoo and other groups email lists. They seem to see email lists as potential spam.

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:50 PM   #14
helens

I used to love Gmail a lot, and in fact is my second email after Fastmail, however lately I am feeling VERY dissapointed with the service as I am completely unable to send attachments

I never tried it before, to send emails with attachments from my Gmail account, but these days I needed send some pictures and I tried it for the first time.....it has been impossible It seems like you can only send text emails from Gmail?

is very sad,

Helen
helens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 07:06 PM   #15
psalzer

You can send attachments. The only thing you can't send is exe files as far as I know. You can't send photos inline - no HTML compose, but I've used it to send a lot of photos.

I do wonder at the particular problems that some people have. I just remembered a woman at work who requested a Gmail account and I invited her a few times but she was never able to register successfully. It wasn't an older browser that was the problem. She has a new computer and Windows XP. None of the happy users in my family have XP. It's all '98 or 2000. By now, XP is a lot more common than either of those so Gmail obviously works for most XP users, but I've read about it giving some people problems accessing some things. Does anyone think that could have anything to do with it?
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote