EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 2 Jun 2012, 10:47 PM   #16
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Robert and Fred.
I also try to report the spam ASAP
But I don't know what they prefer.
I'am lazy so I usually only tell them this:

Username xxxx seems to be a spammer.

Maybe that is not polite but they can easily find that guy
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2012, 12:13 AM   #17
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

This month is my 8th year here and I've used the 'report' button only 3 or 4 times to report a spam post. I usually just type the word 'spam' into the report box. When a mod gets the report, (s)he will know what post it came from, and of course the user who posted that particular post.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2012, 12:27 AM   #18
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
This month is my 8th year here and I've used the 'report' button only 3 or 4 times to report a spam post. I usually just type the word 'spam' into the report box. When a mod gets the report, (s)he will know what post it came from, and of course the user who posted that particular post.
I remember reading a post from the 'Mods' ..... a very long time ago now, indicating that they would prefer that folk not report spam - apparently they were being undulated with spam reports, which were causing far more problems than the original spam.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2012, 12:38 AM   #19
somdcomputerguy

I'm not sure how the whole report process works here, as the forum that I mod on doesn't have that feature. However, on another forum on which I am just a regular user, the mods have had to make several public requests to not reply to a spammy post, or make a post in that thread that the post has been reported.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I remember reading a post from the 'Mods' ..... a very long time ago now, indicating that they would prefer that folk not report spam - apparently they were being undulated with spam reports, which were causing far more problems than the original spam.
I don't think that is the current situation. I have never been scolded by a moderator for reporting spam. Sometimes it's not obvious if a new user is just unfamiliar with our procedures here or is a spammer. Of course, it's best to let a moderator make this determination. Here is a post from a moderator 5 months ago where use of the report post button is mentioned and it seems to me encouraged:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
... Second, in my opinion, the first line of defense is the membership and the "Report Post" link (the little triangle in the lower left). Most times that I have a "reported post" message in my inbox, another moderator will have already have taken action.

"staff" may not be an appropriate term to apply to the moderators. We do not receive any monetary compensation. We volunteer our time, in our own time.

I don't know about the other moderators, but I don't spend all my time on this forum, and I don't read every new post. If new members had to rely on me before their posts were approved, they would never make it to 100 posts.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2012, 10:08 PM   #21
chrisretusn

I believe that this forum only allows reporting a post once. I know that it is possible to set that up. I am also fairly certain that I have been informed a post has already be reported.

I do know that the moderators get all the information they need from the report. The comments are useful if there is a question of it being spam or not. Most of the time it is pretty obvious. In a couple of forums I am a moderator in, only the administrator can ban users. In those forums, the questionable post is simply moved to a hidden forum on the board for the administrator to act on.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2015, 03:44 AM   #22
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Another Rule 3 spam!

I've just received a spam with the subject "Appeals Court upholds Jesus statue on mountain in Montana". Surely it would be better for them to have someone run up some scaffolding.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2015, 03:02 PM   #23
Bamb0
Master of the @

Angry I dislike spamming idiots!!

Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2015, 04:58 PM   #24
Mike Blake

One thing I know for sure: never ask people what their favorite morning beverage is!
Mike Blake is offline   Reply With Quote