EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Sep 2022, 02:38 PM   #16
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

Everything goes to Google only.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/26/icloud-servers-google/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
iCloud, mainly because I'm in the Apple eco system.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2022, 05:26 AM   #17
Gankaku

I've been using PCloud for some time. They've got an app. They have a feature that's nice - upload some music to a folder and you can stream it from your drive. Not many others have that feature.

I'm also looking at Icedrive lately too, just to try it out.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2022, 12:29 AM   #18
sinan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I've been using PCloud for some time. They've got an app. They have a feature that's nice - upload some music to a folder and you can stream it from your drive. Not many others have that feature.

I'm also looking at Icedrive lately too, just to try it out.
I've been using pCloud as well, so much richer features than most. You can have cloud-only (but cached) drive, synced folders, backup etc. Very good lifetime deals too if you like. And I do my phone backup to it using Autosync.
sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2022, 12:45 AM   #19
trikotret

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
I've been using pCloud as well, so much richer features than most. You can have cloud-only (but cached) drive, synced folders, backup etc. Very good lifetime deals too if you like. And I do my phone backup to it using Autosync.
How do they handle photos and videos? I also noticed they offer password manager. I am currently using Bitwarden
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2022, 03:01 AM   #20
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikotret View Post
How do they handle photos and videos? I also noticed they offer password manager. I am currently using Bitwarden
Here's a link to a YouTube 'video tour' of pCloud. I started to browse thru the site itself to check out their service, but it (the site) doesn't perform too well with my browser. Their file transfers and the service probably work just fine, but I had to use my secondary browser, which has a chromed engine under its' hood.., to view the website properly. In fact, none of the links on the site won't even work unless I use this other browser.
Anyway here's the link. https://youtu.be/Xwa15Vl9XHo

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 27 Oct 2022 at 05:42 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2022, 02:27 AM   #21
sinan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
What feature are you asking about more specifically? Uploading from the phone automatically? Yes they have that, I don't use it. Embedded player etc - available. Password manager is a separate product that I don't use.
sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2022, 01:20 AM   #22
ioneja

If encryption and privacy in general are concerns, then you can use a tool like https://cryptomator.org/ to help protect your content with whatever cloud provider you want to use

If you want a cloud service that is designed from the ground up with better privacy and encryption, then your choices are limited -- but they do include some good services such as ProtonDrive, Filen.io, Tresorit, and a few others. If that kind of service is interesting to you, then spend some time comparing how they handle zero-knowledge end-to-end encryption, and look at how services like Google Drive, iCloud+, Dropbox, etc., handle (or don't handle) those kinds of issues.

You can also roll your own cloud service by using a variety of commercial and open source tools with AWS, Backblaze B2, Wasabi, DreamObjects, Azure, etc., etc., or even go with some VPS options with extended/large file storage, too many providers offer this kind of thing to list. Lots of ways to accomplish it!

BTW, one downside of using the zero-knowledge end-to-end encrypted services like ProtonDrive, Filen.io, Tresorit, etc., are that they are typically a little (to a lot) slower than the typical "big" cloud providers like Google, Amazon, etc.. For example, filen.io is based in Germany and they don't have US servers (yet) so not only would US customers have reduced bandwidth (and increased latency), but because of the way end-to-end encryption is typically implemented in these kinds of services, there's a heavier CPU load on your machine as it encrypts/decrypts packets/chunks of your files on the fly locally, on top of the standard HTTPS stuff going on. So they tend to be slower than, say, Dropbox. The trade-offs are worth it if that level of privacy and encryption matter to you though.

Good luck with it! Lots of options out there, and if I may suggest, don't put all your eggs in one basket, no matter what kind of service you need.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2022, 05:24 AM   #23
krimlin
Essential Contributor

I've been with tresorit.com for several years. It is more expensive than others, but it just works - and the additional encryption is worth it for me.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2022, 05:53 AM   #24
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
I also noticed they offer password manager.
I use KeePass - https://keepass.info. Check it out.

- Bruce
Old 5 Dec 2022, 05:59 AM   #25
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimlin View Post
I've been with tresorit.com for several years. It is more expensive than others, but it just works - and the additional encryption is worth it for me.
Indeed, Tresorit is very good. Of the end-to-end encrypted services, Tresorit has by far the best smartphone app IMO. Lots of features that are pretty mature compared to its immediate competitors. I expect ProtonDrive to get there eventually, but they haven't even released an iOS app yet (publicly). BTW Filen's app is not bad, seeing lots of improvements lately.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2022, 06:16 AM   #26
somdcomputerguy

I saw Tresorit had been mentioned more than once, so I checked it out. It (the site's home page) wouldn't even display in my primary browser, but would load correctly in my secondary one, so my 'info check' stopped there..

- Bruce
Old 13 Mar 2023, 08:37 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Warning, old thread revival!

To me one of the key features of cloud storage is automatic backup of photos and files while on the go, since I frequently spend weeks away from home and the ability to do manual backups. For whatever reasons, I find Google's free solutions work swiftly and reliably. I take lots of photos, and I have found nothing as fast and reliable as Google Photos. Yes, I do back them up manually, but it is great knowing that almost the minute I take a photo it is on its way to the backup in the cloud. Even from desktop, for some reason here in the USA Google Drive is vastly faster and more reliable than OneDrive for me. Any reasonably sized file is a nearly instant upload on Google, and I rarely encounter failures like I do with OneDrive. Again, I am on the consumer tier. I now subscribe to 100GB extra storage with Google 1 and I share it with three other family members. An interesting perk is that you gain actual customer service if you subscribe to Google 1. The other day I spent an hour online with Google chat trying to work out an account login problem.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote