EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 8 Mar 2005, 01:31 AM   #16
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

On a recent Blondie comic strip, Dagwood was wondering if they make pizza style tooth paste. Who knows! Maybe they do!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 01:47 AM   #17
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
HEY I remember Xtra 104...I didn't know they had this coupon deal....OOhhhh woe.... all those $1.04 pizzas I've missed (I hope you made up for my loss Chipper...)
I probably did — it was a weekly tradition for me at the time. I miss Xtra 104 — it was interesting how the stations all changed formats like a stack of dominoes (no pun intended for pizza):
Jazzy 100 became Oldies 100
105.9 WCXR went from Classic Rock to Jazz
94.7 went from Light Rock/Contemporary to Classic Rock
Xtra 104 went from Oldies to Top 40/Contemporary

(Oops — getting OT again — back to pizza.)
By the way, I'm going to be in Chicago next week for a user group meeting with the iSeries computer. From what I understand, there are some great places in Chicago. Can anyone tell me of any great pizza places? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 05:18 AM   #18
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

When I was last at St. Thomas' Hospital on the 23rd February, for lunch I had my favourite pizza — Hawïan (ham and pineapple).  Delicious!  (And the medium-size bowl of salad I had with it wasn't bad either; St. Thomas' has great restaurants.)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:46 AM   #19
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
By the way, I'm going to be in Chicago next week for a user group meeting with the iSeries computer. From what I understand, there are some great places in Chicago. Can anyone tell me of any great pizza places? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Just as a follow up — I went to a place called Connie's and had some AWESOME deep dish pizza!! This was perhaps the best tasting pizza I ever had.

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I'm from New York. Pizza is our native food. No Domino's, Pizza Hut or any chain. No personal brick oven fired sun dried gourmet pizza for me either. I'm a very strict pizza traditionalist. In fact maybe I shouldn't even talk about it, because religion is not to be discussed on this forum. A decent NY pizza, either Neopolitan (usually round with thin crust) or occasionally Sicilian (rectangular, thick crust). Toppings can include and should be strictly limited to, onions, meatballs, sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni, olives, anchovies, peppers or any combination of same. I know someone from New Jersey who gets sushi on his pizza, but well..he's from Jersey. He's a good friend, but a pizza heathen. I don't even like the types that have sprung up in the last 20 years that are made with traditional southern Italian food..that doesn't belong on pizza..like chicken parmigiana and baked ziti. Basically, if it wasn't available in NYC in the fifties, it's not pizza to me.

For myself, Neopolitan with anchovies.

Great pizza blog:
http://www.sliceny.com/
I'd heard that Chicago and NYC are known for their pizza. Now that I've had Chicago style, I definitely want to try NYC style!!! (Your description literally has my mouth watering just reading it!!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
Basically, if it wasn't available in NYC in the fifties, it's not pizza to me.
... And from the "flattery will get me everywhere department:" I see your grandmother made quite an impression on you when she told you about what kind of pizza was available in NYC in the fifties.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2005, 11:31 AM   #20
registered_user

Pepperoni pizza where the pepperoni is sliced thin enough that it has gotten crispy during baking. You could add other ingredients I suppose, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like deep dish pizza generally (my family is from Chicago, what else would you expect), but where I live, there is no such thing as a good deep dish. So I have to settle for really well made NY-style pizza, not greasy at all, with a nice doughy crust and just the right amount (not too much) of basil sweetened tomato sauce (not too sweet though). It's a locally owned restaraunt (Cozolla's -- Old Town location only) and it's the only pizza in the state of Colorado that's worth a damn.

You wouldn't catch me ordering from any of the chain restaraunts unless I had truly gotten desperate. Pizza Hut is greasy. Papa John's tastes like they poured a bag of sugar into the mixture for their sauce. BlackJack's is always really really dry and kind of bland. Dominos is... well there's just something wrong with that stuff, it doesn't even taste like pizza. I'd rather eat instant microwave food than most of that garbage. Papa Murphy's isn't too objectionable though some of their meat toppings taste very very frozen.

There's a chain called Beaujo's that makes "Colorado style" pizza that's okay I guess, but I have a hard time calling it pizza myself. It's popular with the nuts and tree bark crowd though (and they give you honey to drizzle over the leftover crust which is damn tasty even if the rest of the pizza isn't all that great). It's almost impossible to find good Italian in CO (unless you count Olive Garden as good food, and I do not). It's pretty hard to find any good Euro-style cuisine really (Polish and German is actually unavailable where I live as far as I know, not even bad restaraunts). I guess we make up for it with really good Southwestern and Mexican food (and an unusually high number of Japanese restaraunts along with a few other good Asian joints).
registered_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2005, 04:39 AM   #21
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I can only have a few as a strict vegetarian. Except for the Pizza Margherita (cheese and tomatoes) and the Pizza Vegetariana (vegetables) I cannot eat any pizza. Luckily those two are good enough to not get tired of them
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2005, 05:59 AM   #22
dantheman

If you make your own pizza dough, a good way to have a good crust is to use the water part from a cooked potato. You may include the potato as well.

Tsunami, can't you have a bit of mushrooms and hot peppers in your veggie pizza too?
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 08:09 PM   #23
Bamb0
Master of the @

I like thick pizza w/pepperoni

1 place in my area still makes thick and I love it!!!! (Its gotta be an inch thick or a little more)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:14 PM   #24
chrisretusn

I like thin crust pizza and yes I like pineapple on pizza. I lived in Japan for 13 years, I've had some strange pizza.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:53 PM   #25
TenFour
Master of the @

Thin, crispy crust, lots of tangy cheese, pepperoni, onions, olives, and green peppers. I rather like Greek pizza too with feta cheese and olives. I'm one of the strange people that does enjoy anchovies too, but so few people do that it has been years since I've had an anchovy pizza.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:29 AM   #26
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

What about a pizza from a vending machine?
https://news.yahoo.com/fresh-pizza-v...174240717.html
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:54 AM   #27
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hmmm I reckon it wouldnt be very g00d!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #28
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Nowadays we usually make our own pizza at home, and can put on whatever topping we can imagine.

One very good combination we tried lately is broccoli and bacon on a mixture of cream, grated mozzarella and parmigiano cheese.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:32 AM   #29
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
One very good combination we tried lately is broccoli and bacon on a mixture of cream, grated mozzarella and parmigiano cheese.
Sounds great!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 10:25 PM   #30
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Thin, crispy crust, lots of tangy cheese, pepperoni, onions, olives, and green peppers.
And extra sauce.

Quote:
I'm one of the strange people that does enjoy anchovies too, but so few people do that it has been years since I've had an anchovy pizza.
I Japan a good substitute for anchovies was using shirasu as a topping. Oishii

Any one try a squid with ink pizza, with corn on it. Or a natto pizza.

We have a local pizza place here who serves up a taco looking pizza, it's my favorite item (actually the only item I like) on their menu.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote